Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome day on the links today. New push cart (Clicgear 3.5), new golf watch (Garmin S60), new Putter (Ping).

My buddy has same cart, green wheels.

upload_2019-12-28_17-1-0.png

upload_2019-12-28_17-4-41.png

Need a 3 wood or mini driver for 2020. Maybe a wedge set. 48, 54, 58 degree. My 60 degree has been banished to the garage in recent years

The more you use your 60 the better your scores will get. Just keep using it ... practice. The ability to just pop it up and stay makes for a lot of one putts. Don’t scoop, soft strike

The more you use your 60 the better your scores will get. Just keep using it ... practice. The ability to just pop it up and stay makes for a lot of one putts. Don’t scoop, soft strike

It was a Cleveland with a wide ass recovery sole on it, which is what I'm blaming it on. I had a few decent years with it, and then it, as well as the rest of my game (if I can call it game) went really downhill.

Awesome passed. Love the cart and watch. Isnt it nice to always have the distance? I know you have had some way to measure distance, but I loved my watch for being always on for all the short shots I was too lazy to pull my phone out of pocket for. I reallly enjoy walking and something like that bridge is heaven to me.

I havent replied in a while. After literally years of playing in the 70s, I took a few months off and I cant remember how to play. Its literally like I am a beginner again. I dont know if its a slump or I literally think I forgot how to play. The part of my brain that knew how to golf is missing it seems. The mission I remain on is to try and play out of it and most importantly have fun. I think I am turning a corner but mostly the short game needs to improve dramatically. Also I am trying to keep up with my bil who has really learned to play and cant. He is hitting his 7 185 carry and my ego isn't allowing me to pull the 5 iron I need for the same shot. The answer I am finding is to focus on the target.

Awesome passed. Love the cart and watch. Isnt it nice to always have the distance? I know you have had some way to measure distance, but I loved my watch for being always on for all the short shots I was too lazy to pull my phone out of pocket for. I reallly enjoy walking and something like that bridge is heaven to me.

I havent replied in a while. After literally years of playing in the 70s, I took a few months off and I cant remember how to play. Its literally like I am a beginner again. I dont know if its a slump or I literally think I forgot how to play. The part of my brain that knew how to golf is missing it seems. The mission I remain on is to try and play out of it and most importantly have fun. I think I am turning a corner but mostly the short game needs to improve dramatically. Also I am trying to keep up with my bil who has really learned to play and cant. He is hitting his 7 185 carry and my ego isn't allowing me to pull the 5 iron I need for the same shot. The answer I am finding is to focus on the target.
Gotta play your own game. Forget what your playing partners are doing. Play the course, not your opponents.

Brew on :mug:

Gotta play your own game. Forget what your playing partners are doing. Play the course, not your opponents.

Good advice. Last few times I golfed, we played skins or similar. It adds stress to my game (especially when I'm not doing well), and that's not why I golf. I think I'm going to go back to just scoring my own round and skipping the games.

Good advice. Last few times I golfed, we played skins or similar. It adds stress to my game (especially when I'm not doing well), and that's not why I golf. I think I'm going to go back to just scoring my own round and skipping the games.
You can play the games, but worrying about them won't help you make better shots.

Oh man that looks nice hoppydaze. Especially since I played today in 40 ish degrees. Had heater and stuff prepared but with little wind it was fine. Played really well! Hit my inlaws clubs. So my 7i was struggling to get 160 at best. His big 8i flew 175 in the air sky high with a range ball. What I noticed was a lot more forgiveness on miss hits. He struggled to hit my 4iron. His 4 iron had high flight and was easy to hit. I see new clubs in my future.

Oh man that looks nice hoppydaze. Especially since I played today in 40 ish degrees. Had heater and stuff prepared but with little wind it was fine. Played really well! Hit my inlaws clubs. So my 7i was struggling to get 160 at best. His big 8i flew 175 in the air sky high with a range ball. What I noticed was a lot more forgiveness on miss hits. He struggled to hit my 4iron. His 4 iron had high flight and was easy to hit. I see new clubs in my future.
So, what were these easy to hit clubs?

Mine are titelist 755s his were taylormade rocketballz irons. Not necessarily easy to hit but massively high ball flight and distance. Big heads and forgiving.
The "forgiving" part is what most interests me. I also have a tendency towards low ball flight (even off of my 11° driver.) I have an older set of Taylor Made irons.

Warning I am going to ramble on about clubs. Clubs come either forged or cast. Generally speaking forged are for players(better control) and cast are more forgiving. At one time, top end was all exclusively forged and expensive. Not so much now. Great examples of both can be found. I think back to my first macgregor dx tourneys which were a quality club in their day that I grew up with, the weight was all middle. And they were blades. Weight has been moved lower in modern clubs and center of gravity has been moved as well.

I played with mizuno mp 33. They were like butter when hit right. Forged iron, vs forged steel (my 755s), forged iron were sweet. Miss a forged blade a pinch and totally awry. Blades vs cavity. The cavity is what its all about. My clubs are more muscle back, a blade with a cut of some kind. Cavity is a hollow cavity behind face, making a hot face, but not as workable or sensitive. My first real clubs top flite xl 2000 had big cavity faces. I could hit that four a mile. I always loved titleist irons and tm drivers. Clevland or vokey wedges.

Cavity, the rocketball z irons were, fairly large cavity. With a pinch of offset. Offset being the twist at the bottom, giving a little more time fornthe hands and wrists than mine which are near straight at the bottom. I recognized the ball flight well, high, long, and balooning. More a machete to the scalpel titleist but I always thought who cares? I mean really if its off a little from 180 I am cool if its on the green. Miss hit a forged blade and its not finding the green. Face a little left, way left. Honestly the titleist are better and more exact feeling imo to the clumsier rbz irons. Titelist ap 1 irons seemed awesome to me. At this point distance is somewhat controled by the rna and golfs other governing bodies. So they give distance by having less angle. So an 8 in my set is a 9 in his based on designed face tilt angle. My 5 his 7 etc.

Tldr, a cast cavity back larger face iron will be very forgiving and fly long and high. A forged muscle back or full blade iron will give more feel and control over ball flight. I didnt get into shafts but will at some point.
The "forgiving" part is what most interests me. I also have a tendency towards low ball flight (even off of my 11° driver.) I have an older set of Taylor Made irons.

Warning I am going to ramble on about clubs. Clubs come either forged or cast. Generally speaking forged are for players(better control) and cast are more forgiving. At one time, top end was all exclusively forged and expensive. Not so much now. Great examples of both can be found. I think back to my first macgregor dx tourneys which were a quality club in their day that I grew up with, the weight was all middle. And they were blades. Weight has been moved lower in modern clubs and center of gravity has been moved as well.

I played with mizuno mp 33. They were like butter when hit right. Forged iron, vs forged steel (my 755s), forged iron were sweet. Miss a forged blade a pinch and totally awry. Blades vs cavity. The cavity is what its all about. My clubs are more muscle back, a blade with a cut of some kind. Cavity is a hollow cavity behind face, making a hot face, but not as workable or sensitive. My first real clubs top flite xl 2000 had big cavity faces. I could hit that four a mile. I always loved titleist irons and tm drivers. Clevland or vokey wedges.

Cavity, the rocketball z irons were, fairly large cavity. With a pinch of offset. Offset being the twist at the bottom, giving a little more time fornthe hands and wrists than mine which are near straight at the bottom. I recognized the ball flight well, high, long, and balooning. More a machete to the scalpel titleist but I always thought who cares? I mean really if its off a little from 180 I am cool if its on the green. Miss hit a forged blade and its not finding the green. Face a little left, way left. Honestly the titleist are better and more exact feeling imo to the clumsier rbz irons. Titelist ap 1 irons seemed awesome to me. At this point distance is somewhat controled by the rna and golfs other governing bodies. So they give distance by having less angle. So an 8 in my set is a 9 in his based on designed face tilt angle. My 5 his 7 etc.

Tldr, a cast cavity back larger face iron will be very forgiving and fly long and high. A forged muscle back or full blade iron will give more feel and control over ball flight. I didnt get into shafts but will at some point.
Yeah, I would never go with a blade at my skill (almost none) level. You didn't mention the higher rotational moment for cavity backs, which helps keep the club face from twisting due to off center hits. Love to hear what you have to say about shafts.

Recently did a club fitting to get new irons and there was little difference in spin rate, launch angle and ball speed between blades, cavities and my current Taylor Made cavities so I spent money on the Callaway Epic driver. Pretty big difference in all the measurements there ... hitting it at least 20 yards further when square up

Thats what I always found and is why I havent upgraded. That said seeing is believing and I was 1 plus clubs longer with his and they were much easier to hit. I am going to get some. I am not surprised your tm cavitites performed similar. They are probably the same angle as new ones and the face "hotness" is theoretically limited. But my friends are convinced my r7 460 driver is outdated. I am sure it is. What was your old driver? 20 yds? Thats huge. Make me ten years younger!
Recently did a club fitting to get new irons and there was little difference in spin rate, launch angle and ball speed between blades, cavities and my current Taylor Made cavities so I spent money on the Callaway Epic driver. Pretty big difference in all the measurements there ... hitting it at least 20 yards further when square up

Thats what I always found and is why I havent upgraded. That said seeing is believing and I was 1 plus clubs longer with his and they were much easier to hit. I am going to get some. I am not surprised your tm cavitites performed similar. They are probably the same angle as new ones and the face "hotness" is theoretically limited. But my friends are convinced my r7 460 driver is outdated. I am sure it is. What was your old driver? 20 yds? Thats huge. Make me ten years younger!

My old driver was a TM Burner. Like 10 years old

Cloudy today! I hit a 92, which is a pretty good round for me. My boy there in the pic hit a 73! Was warm out, but they say cooler weather is coming.

This is Chi Chi Rodriguez course, right down the street from me. $15 for the round, with a cart. Oh yea. My buddy, who golfs with me all the time, walked the course. But the threat of rain meant I need a quick getaway car.

upload_2020-1-19_16-5-23.png

My oldest son, who's a pretty good golfer, hit those blades for a few years. He got tired of how unforgiving they were, and just recently bought a new set of cavity backs ( Titliest APT - forged cavity backs). He loves them and says he has gained several strokes.

Feeling left out here. Single digits lows here windchills below zero. There's still hope tho. Received this yesterday altho the dates messed up I can dream.

This course has to be one of the coldest courses I've ever played. Surrounded by 40° water temps from Narragansett Bay.
Screenshot_20200122-132818.jpeg

Feeling left out here. Single digits lows here windchills below zero. There's still hope tho. Received this yesterday altho the dates messed up I can dream.

This course has to be one of the coldest courses I've ever played. Surrounded by 40° water temps from Narragansett Bay. View attachment 663361

Go check it out! Looks like a great course (well, links style is very appealing to me). I've got a son who's going to be in Boston for the summer, I expect to get up there at least a couple of times. Maybe we'll golf there :)

It's my go to place. They try to stay open as much as possible in the winter. Plus the frost line is usually a good 30 miles north. Altho I've played there in the 40's with a cold wind and it's felt worse than playing single digits on a calm day in NH.

I got plenty of course recommendations. Even if you want a good 19th hole without the golf and a good view of Boston and the harbor is Granite Links. Plus many have good breweries close by. If you want hit me up and I'll get you on Wentworth by the Sea. Old Donald Ross course that is like a mini Pebble Beach. I've posted plenty of pix on here.

It's my go to place. They try to stay open as much as possible in the winter. Plus the frost line is usually a good 30 miles north. Altho I've played there in the 40's with a cold wind and it's felt worse than playing single digits on a calm day in NH.

I got plenty of course recommendations. Even if you want a good 19th hole without the golf and a good view of Boston and the harbor is Granite Links. Plus many have good breweries close by. If you want hit me up and I'll get you on Wentworth by the Sea. Old Donald Ross course that is like a mini Pebble Beach. I've posted plenty of pix on here.

Yes, so much!!! My son is a medical student, doing research at Harvard :) He's also an avid golfer. Care to join us at one of those courses? I'll be coming up sometime late in May, I think - does it thaw out by then? That Wentworth by the Sea sounds just about perfect. Off to search for pics...

Late May is perfect spring weather. It may be chilly for FL people but that's when everything is coming out including the mosquitoes ;-) Wentworth is a nice scenic drive North of Boston. It's close to the ocean and might be chilly due to the ocean but my home course is due west and warmer if it gets too inclimate l. Ping me when u think you'll be up

Florida is nothing like Hawaii. Go to Hawaii

I'm sure I'd love HI. But if one of the reasons to go is to find warm weather in the frozen winter, that isn't important to me. Also, note it's a shorter flight to Paris, France from here. So when you consider the time travelling to get to hawaii, there are a lot of options.

Latest posts

Back