Lots of Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Google suggests:
Traditionally, the weissbiers (“white” beers) of Bavaria have been brewed with up to 60 to 70 percent wheat malt, combined with 30 to 40 percent barley malt.
And of course Grodziskie is made with 100% wheat malt.

Why did you chose that percentage?
No idea. It was 18 years ago.

I love it.

Traditionally, the weissbiers (“white” beers) of Bavaria have been brewed with up to 60 to 70 percent wheat malt, combined with 30 to 40 percent barley malt.
So not as extreme as my beer.

I started looking at BJCP stuff, but I thought someone here might know the answer without looking.

In that case, I made weissbier! Maybe.

I'm checking the BJCP page. It says:

By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is Pilsner malt.

I make an American wheat beer that is around 60% wheat 40% 2-row. I've never pushed it to 70% wheat, but never wanted to since I like it as is. I typically flavor mine with apricot, and it compares with Ithaca Beer Company's version.

Here's mine from a while back.

676872-A5261661-FBEA-47AC-BB5D-B243D4262280.jpeg

Ok, so you're looking at the 2008/2015 guidelines. The 2021 guidelines are open ended, at least 50%. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong ingredients description. Although, 18 years ago you were under the 2008 version which was apparently limited the amount of ingredients you could use.

I've made hopfenweisse that's been up to 75% wheat. It was great, though not the easiest thing to brew.

I really like wheat beer. People have told me using so much would make bad things happen, regarding the taste, but my ale is excellent. A little sour. Lemony from Bergamot hops. Nice aroma. Sessiony. You can drink it by itself or put just about anything in it.

When I started out, I put additional stuff in the boil, but I don't bother now. I feel like the grain and hops do enough to make the basic beer taste good. I have done things like adding frozen raspberry and sugar cubes, grenadine, tangerine juice, or a squeeze of lemon, and it all works.

I don't know why factory brewers don't use more wheat. I wonder if it's too hard to get the wort out of the equipment.

A long time ago, I wanted to make a Spaten Club Weisse clone, but I never got there. I can't find that beer anywhere.

Oh, wow. The web says it's discontinued.

Here is where I went for the BJCP info. I don't know when it was updated.

I wouldn't get hung up on what the BJCP says, you need to remember it's "style guidelines". If you're going to enter your wheat beer for judging then I'd check their recommendations.

I brew wheat beer recipes often using a high percentage of white wheat malt with Munich and pils. Munich offers a touch of malt sweetness that I like in a wheat beer.

I routinely use fruit in my wheat beer recipes too, raspberries or cherries have the best flavor to offer. I add a pound of real fruit to each gallon of finished beer. After I keg the beer I'll add the fruit to the keg in either a mesh bag or a stainless steel mesh tube the condition it in the fridge. Most times I leave the fruit in the keg while serving.

Make sure the real fruit is clean. I keep cleaned fruit in the freezer till I need it.

I wouldn't get hung up on what the BJCP says, you need to remember it's "style guidelines". If you're going to enter your wheat beer for judging then I'd check their recommendations.

I brew wheat beer recipes often using a high percentage of white wheat malt with Munich and pils. Munich offers a touch of malt sweetness that I like in a wheat beer.
I don't care about the BJCP, but most people on forums brew to styles, so I thought it would be nice if ONE beer I made fell into a recognized style, so I could discuss it without confusing people.

Even if you're sober, that website is stupid clunky. It's like they think they have to keep the history of everything the bjcp has ever done.

Reminds me of my dad. When he retired due to dementia, I threw out maybe 50 pounds of emails he had printed out.

I don't care about the BJCP, but most people on forums brew to styles, so I thought it would be nice if ONE beer I made fell into a recognized style, so I could discuss it without confusing people.

Reminds me of my dad. When he retired due to dementia, I threw out maybe 50 pounds of emails he had printed out.
Yup, I can appreciate that statement and I feel the same way.

I feel anyone who brews a wheat beer or amber or whatever is brewing to style. It's just your style and not what someone else says is the style. That's what makes this hobby fun!

Before there were styles, someone had to invent them, and you can't do that by brewing to a style.

This stuff is just fantastic. I am considering adding a little more crystal malt, though. Maybe some day I'll try 120L crystal or Special B in it.

Back