lost some wort in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdazbrew

Reaction score
I am brewing a kit from a local brew store. I had the wort boil over a couple times and ended up loosing about a half gallon. I just transferred to my secondary and the beer seems to be progressing nicely. Should I adjust the amount of priming sugar ? It was pre measured for 5 Ga?

I am brewing a kit from a local brew store. I had the wort boil over a couple times and ended up loosing about a half gallon. I just transferred to my secondary and the beer seems to be progressing nicely. Should I adjust the amount of priming sugar ? It was pre measured for 5 Ga?

yes you should use whatever is right for the amount of beer you are bottling and style

more will give you problems

if you have 4.5 gallons in the end to bottle 5 ozs may not be that big of a problem but use an online calculator and things will go better

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

all the best

S_M

more than likely it was pre-measured for 5 ga at a midway point of atmospheric pressure for that style and optimal temperature range for the yeast, which gives it some leeway, so you should be OK using the entire amount

OR

if you want to be absolutely sure to use the correct amount, you'll need to consult one of the many online priming sugar calculators, input your batch size, the temperature of the beer and what carbonation level you want. then you'll need to break out a scale and WEIGH out the proper amount.

my beers were severely under-carbed until I started going by weight instead of volume

Ohh crap ,last night .i just used the included sugar packet , but only had enough to fill 14 beers in the 2nd case.. I guess i better put a garbage bag around the cases

Ohh crap ,last night .i just used the included sugar packet , but only had enough to fill 14 beers in the 2nd case.. I guess i better put a garbage bag around the cases

The best way to add sugar is to dissolve it in water by boiling for a few minutes then adding it to the bottling bucket.

I would use something much stronger than a garbage bag. If you were short on priming sugar by 10 bottles I would really worry about them exploding. Try a plastic storage box.

Back