Lost power in the storm, how long will my yeast keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndraughn

Reaction score
I'm in VA and lost power in the storm Friday, and I'm wondering how long or up to what temperature my yeast packets I had in the fridge will remain viable? I don't think the temp in the fridge has risen above 65-70 degrees.

You say they're in packets which makes me think dry yeast. If that's the case they should be fine. My lhbs keeps their dry yeast on shelves, not in the fridge. I've also ordered a ton of dry yeast online and had it shipped without any ice and have never had problems. Liquid yeast might be another story but I haven't used it enough to advise on that. Good luck with the power coming back on!

I have never made a starter, but I would leave it in the fridge until power comes back on, If it takes awhile I would make a starter then brew and pitch. I hope it is back on soon, God bless.

The yeast will last at room temperature for months. Just think about how it lasts in the carboys when you brew.

I would make a starter regardless. A vial/package is technically only contains enough yeast to pitch on a very low OG.

Latest posts

Back