Lost half my new beer gas tank to a faulty disconnect :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
So I *finally* got around to hooking up my beer gas system for my first stout on nitrogen. Hooked everything up yesterday and things seemed tight and snug. Should have probably turned the gas off and made sure the nozzles were at the same spot the next day but hindsight is 20/20. Anyway after I realized half my tank was suddenly gone I had to troubleshoot the leak, looked at every connection and all the clamps were tight and I couldn't find any evidence of leaks with the soapy water test. Eventually I suspected the ball lock disconnect itself was leaking somewhere and so I did a complete submersion in water.

IMG_0146.jpg

The leak is actually coming from inside the disconnect itself! I guess I got a faulty one somehow. :mad: I'll have to email the company to see what they'll do but damn this is frustrating! My very first stout on nitro and it had to be messed up. :(

(Turns out it just needed to be tightened good, not really 'faulty')

You can pull the disconnect apart and take a look at it to see what might be wrong, just unscrew the top.

Hmm I'll take a closer look at it.

In the end, victory is mine!

stoutpour1.jpg

stoutpour2.jpg

stoutpour3.jpg

stoutpour4.jpg

I hooked the other one back up to the CO2, looks like it just needed a good tightening with a wrench. Now I feel even dumber, heh. Oh well at least I have my stout.

Yeah I lost 90% of my newly filled 20# CO2 tank from a faulty disconnect. Sucks...

I had one with a slight pit in the body where the top cap's gasket sits. Just enough to cause a slight leak when I wasn't paying attention. 4 gallons of bitter inside the freezer!!!

Back