Loss of a pack member..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripod

Reaction score
:(

I'm saddened to annouce that I had to put my beloved doberman "Kale" down today due to complications from bone cancer. The cancer cost him a leg last year...I started calling him "Tripod" to lighten the burden a little bit. That is actually where my handle comes from...I took the name to honor Kale.

Anyway, the cancer spread into his spine and started causing fractures that would never heal right so I had to make and face a really tough decision. That's him in my avatar. I had him for just over 10 years and he was the best dog on the planet...

Tonight my pack and I are going to go outside and howl at the full-moon for a while. Just thought I'd share...

-Tripod

Sorry to hear about your loss. I cant say I know how you feel but I've lost lots of pets growing up on a farm. It's hard loosing someone close to you even if they're just a pet.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had to make the same decision and I know how tough it must have been for you.

-Steve

I am hoisting a pint and sharing the adventures of Kale with my Doberman Isis and the Kitten brothers.

My deepest condolences for you today.

Sorry to hear.

Glass raised to Kale and his pack.

Thank you for the kind words of support! I'll definitely hoist one with you all... :mug:

I was thinking about brewing something to honor my boy. Perhaps a nice hoppy Pale Ale...I could call it "Kale Ale" maybe?

-Tripod

I was thinking about brewing something to honor my boy. Perhaps a nice hoppy Pale Ale...I could call it "Kale Ale" maybe?

-Tripod

do a porter.
something black with a big tan head.

Call it " Three Legs" and drink with pride.

God gave him 4 he made it work with 3. Prost.

do a porter.
something black with a big tan head.

Call it " Three Legs" and drink with pride.

God gave him 4 he made it work with 3. Prost.

I really like the idea of a big heavy black beer. He was 112 lbs which is huge for a dobie...they usually average around 70 lbs.

-Tripod

sorry man. it's a sad thing to put pet down. you did what is best for him though. if I was hurting and couldn't heal and was being eaten . . . plus ten years is a great run for such a big dog. I'm toasting tripod right now.

Once I'm able to drink again (antibiotics and vicodin after dental work) KB and I will have a stout in your pup's honor.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for your kind words of support during this heavy time for me. One of the things I like best about HBT is that I know that all of the support is heart-felt and real.

It has been hard watching the boxer, Luger, constantly going from room to room looking for Kale. We know that he is aware that something is wrong. He sniffs around every room and bed and toy and then looks to us...

It was harder still to try and explain things to our 3 year old daughter. She has been surprisingly stable with this. Since Kale lost a leg, it was pretty obvious to anyone with eyes that Kale's body was old and tired and she could see it too. We told her that Kale is resting at Rainbow Bridge which is were pets go when they pass on to wait for us until it is our time to go. Then we can all cross into heaven together. She has spent the whole weekend making models of Rainbow Bridge with Play-doh and Bendaroos. :)

Anyway, thanks again HBT for proving that this community is a community and goes way beyond just a site you come to for knowledge. I'll definitely be planning a brew for Kale so I'll let you know how that progresses...

-Tripod

You and your family have honored Kale well. Full glass lifted to you and Kale. Godspeed, doggie pal...

Sorry to hear about it. Bone cancer is a big problem with greyhounds. I'll hoist one for Tripod.

Ah, sorry to hear that bro. Tough to loose a family member like that. I've got a dark bock that I'll raise a toast to Kane/Tripod.

My condolences too Tripod--Can say I know just how you feel--I lost my best friend in the world to cancer two months ago. I wish you the best.

The Rainbows Bridge Poem

RainbowsBridge.com
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

The Rainbows Bridge Poem

RainbowsBridge.com
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

This is the story we've been telling our little girl. She has been amazing through this whole thing and I am sometimes taken aback by how much comfort and wisdom can come from the pure and innocent. There is nothing like a daughter's love to make a hard man smile... :)

-Tripod

Back