Loose SS nipples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
So ordered 3-3 way 1/2" T flow valves from Duda. Got them. Look great other than the port seems small. Received the 2-3" SS nipples to connect them and boy are the threads sloppy. Not only that but they don't tighten up until they bottom out in the valve body. I can't imagine that any amount of teflon is going to help that. Nipples were out of China so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I can't imagine that this is typical or acceptable??

It's not typical, pipe thread sizes are standardized. I suspect the ones from China are to blame as many folks use Duda without issue. You can try to bulk up the teflon tape or return the nipples.

It's not typical, pipe thread sizes are standardized. I suspect the ones from China are to blame as many folks use Duda without issue. You can try to bulk up the teflon tape or return the nipples.

I figured as much. They were pretty inexpensive so I think the hassle of return would out way the benefit. I'll order up some proper nipples from bobby along with some other bits and pieces.

We just started carrying fittings larger than 2", and its from a different supplier than our smaller stuff. I'll have to do some QC first thing tomorrow.

If you want to PM your order number I can send you a refund

We just started carrying fittings larger than 2", and its from a different supplier than our smaller stuff. I'll have to do some QC first thing tomorrow.

If you want to PM your order number I can send you a refund

I'm not even sure at the moment that I ordered the nipples from you. I will check my amazon acct and get back to you asap.

Just put an ass load of teflon tape on the nipples, like 20 turns, and see what happens. If you still have a problem, something's probably wrong. I'm impatient and would not want to wait for replacement parts and would probably either use more tape or grind the ends off the nipples. I can't imagine that this is the case, though, unless one of the parts was machined really poorly. You need to at least try to make them work, which will take less time than checking your amazon account and starting a thread.

So ordered 3-3 way 1/2" T flow valves from Duda. Got them. Look great other than the port seems small. Received the 2-3" SS nipples to connect them and boy are the threads sloppy. Not only that but they don't tighten up until they bottom out in the valve body. I can't imagine that any amount of teflon is going to help that. Nipples were out of China so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I can't imagine that this is typical or acceptable??

the telfon tape works fine.. The Duda valves are from china too guys... I have 1 three way from him myself and 3 of these from ebay I bought because the ports are bigger.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/391647195439?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The real issue here is some things are NPT (tapered) and some are NPS (straight threaded) and some are BST (British standard thread). Some vendors specify and some dont... some try to kill two birds with one stone since they are "sort of" interchangable.. (bayou classics come with such odd ball threads)

Just put an ass load of teflon tape on the nipples, like 20 turns, and see what happens. If you still have a problem, something's probably wrong. I'm impatient and would not want to wait for replacement parts and would probably either use more tape or grind the ends off the nipples. I can't imagine that this is the case, though, unless one of the parts was machined really poorly. You need to at least try to make them work, which will take less time than checking your amazon account and starting a thread.

same here..somtimes thay are machined or molded poorly though.
Ive had so camlocks that Ive had to grind the ends off the male adapters to get them to work correctly.... $2 instead of $7 each though and I was trying to work with a small budget though.. and since I have a grinding wheel it wasnt an issue.

Back