Looking to Upgrade Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I am currently using a 7.5 gallon stainless brew kettle that was in this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004070Q9E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Its the first big brew kettle I had, but I want to buy a 10 gallon kettle just to give myself some extra head room when boiling.

As I'm shopping around, I see SS Brew, BrewBuilt, Spike Brewing, etc etc.. Im not super familiar with all of the various brands, but do some stand out more than the others? Im interested in the ones with a value and thermometer attached as well, but not required.

EDIT: Oops, realized I posted to wrong section. Mods, feel free to move.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you boil on? Propane burner or stovetop? Is there any chance you will go up to 10 gallon batches?

There are mega pots that the price difference between a 10-15 gallon is $50 bucks with the options you are looking for. Try to future proof whatever you buy and buy once and be done with it.

What do you boil on? Propane burner or stovetop? Is there any chance you will go up to 10 gallon batches?

There are mega pots that the price difference between a 10-15 gallon is $50 bucks with the options you are looking for. Try to future proof whatever you buy and buy once and be done with it.

I have the Dark Star propane burner that I've been using.

For my lifestyle, 5 gallons will continue to be perfect for me. I don't have any desire to move up to 10 gallons anytime in the next 5-10 years.

Hey guys and gals,

I am currently using a 7.5 gallon stainless brew kettle that was in this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004070Q9E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Its the first big brew kettle I had, but I want to buy a 10 gallon kettle just to give myself some extra head room when boiling.

As I'm shopping around, I see SS Brew, BrewBuilt, Spike Brewing, etc etc.. Im not super familiar with all of the various brands, but do some stand out more than the others? Im interested in the ones with a value and thermometer attached as well, but not required.

I do BIAB brewing, and I find the 10G kettle my go to size for standard 5.5G brews. I like to have some head room as you mentioned.

I have a kettle called "Blichmann" that I consider a very high quality kettle. It has a sight glass, drain valve and a thermometer...all things you listed plus a sight glass to see what liquid level is in your pot. All of these features are important to me, but the quality of this kettle is over the top.

I am sure some of the other names you listed are premium too as I see them listed on websites. Sometimes you can catch a sale so watch for after the holidays for offers. Take a close look at Blichmann G2 kettles. You'll be impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite pleased with my Spike Brewing 10 gal. I'd much rather have welded fittings over the weldless that other brands have.

if you're not planning on brewing more than 5 gallons a 9 gallon pot will be all you need. IMO any bigger and you're giving up too much surface area and your wort will evaporate too quickly over a 60 minute, or even a 90 minute, boil. I use a cheap 9 gallon pot I bought from AIH and it works great for 5 gallon batches. I can even do 7 gallons with it if I want.

5 gallons will continue to be perfect for me. I don't have any desire to move up to 10 gallons anytime

I remember when I said that! But seriously, why not go the keggle route? I made my own using a keg for $50 at a local brewery, then $30 in parts (weldless route) and a bout an hour of time to cut, build, and clean with oxyclean, then another hour for shining up the outside

I put my 15 gallon Bayou in storage and bought a 10 gallon Spike and haven't looked back. I too brew 5 gallon batches and this has been perfect.

Very little head space so better mash temp control. Better cooling since my IC is fully submerged, and easier to store, carry, etc.

if you're not planning on brewing more than 5 gallons a 9 gallon pot will be all you need. IMO any bigger and you're giving up too much surface area and your wort will evaporate too quickly over a 60 minute, or even a 90 minute, boil. I use a cheap 9 gallon pot I bought from AIH and it works great for 5 gallon batches. I can even do 7 gallons with it if I want.

I'd have to say that's not really a good reason to stay smaller. I have a 10 gal, and have 1 gal per hour boil off. If it's higher, figure out what it is and use more water. I've never had to worry about a boil over. Doing 5 gal BIAB leaves a small amount of head space, which is great for temp retention during the mash. I'd say don't get smaller than 10 gal, but there are times that I could see 15 gal being useful for big brews.

I'd have to say that's not really a good reason to stay smaller. I have a 10 gal, and have 1 gal per hour boil off. If it's higher, figure out what it is and use more water. I've never had to worry about a boil over. Doing 5 gal BIAB leaves a small amount of head space, which is great for temp retention during the mash. I'd say don't get smaller than 10 gal, but there are times that I could see 15 gal being useful for big brews.

The OP just said he wanted more head-space when boiling and didn't say anything about BIAB. We all speak from our own experience and I was more referring to the folks who were talking about boiling 6-7 gallons of wort in a 15 gallon kettle.

Personally, I don't want to add more time to my brew day waiting for more water to boil... If you brew big BIAB beers all the time I guess I could see the benefit of a 15 gallon kettle but that doesn't sound like what the OP is doing.

Brak23,
You mention possibly going bigger in the future. If you're investing in a new brew kettle I suggest going bigger now. Don't waste your future money.
I brew in a keg and usually do 10 gal batches but have many 5 gal brews over the years (10 in the last 3 months) and don't see any difference in volume with my calcs. In fact, the boil point is very quick in the keg vs smaller kettles.
If you don't go big now you'll in the future have a 7.5, 10, and then a 15 gallon pot. (why?)

The OP just said he wanted more head-space when boiling and didn't say anything about BIAB. We all speak from our own experience and I was more referring to the folks who were talking about boiling 6-7 gallons of wort in a 15 gallon kettle.

Personally, I don't want to add more time to my brew day waiting for more water to boil... If you brew big BIAB beers all the time I guess I could see the benefit of a 15 gallon kettle but that doesn't sound like what the OP is doing.

Sorry, I was referring to your no bigger than 9 gallon comment. The boil off rate between 9 and 10 would be negligible, but having that extra gallon of room to prevent boil overs is really nice.

Back