Looking to buy first Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fwiw I have the exact mill setup as iijakii. Can't beat it for under 150$. I've put probably a half ton of grain through it at this point and have yet to replace bearings or rollers.

So you guys with the trigger speed control, you just try to estimate the (optimal) rpm, and then lock the trigger (if available)?

So you guys with the trigger speed control, you just try to estimate the (optimal) rpm, and then lock the trigger (if available)?

I set mine visually under no load to about 100-120 RPM (i have a lot of experience watching motor shafts so i'm pretty confident i'm close and i know the tricks for estimating).

At load it drops in speed considerably and runs very rough. To compensate for this i increased the no-load speed closer to 150 RPM. As soon as it encounters grain its slows down to the desired range.

Now that i've found the right speed i don't touch the speed adjustment knob anymore. I just pull the trigger, lock it, and dump grain into the hopper.

I also have a cereal killer, I just set the gap with a credit card and hit 94% efficiency with the first batch. I prefer grinding by hand, it doesn't take too long and I'm not worried about a small stone wrecking the rollers as would happen with a drill. It's also kinda fun, like foreplay it gets me in the mood for brewing.

Wait till they have a sale or use a discount code, I think I paid $79 shipped for mine. AIH is also great to deal with and stand behind their products. I really wish the mill came with a sticker of the cereal killer box art, it would look great in my brew room.

I really like my Kegco KM11GM-3R. It feels pretty solid compared to the cereal crusher and other cheaper mills. The wing nuts are a bit cheap feeling, otherwise it seems on par with the MM-3, but smaller diameter rollers. I am running it with the HF heavy duty low speed drill. I have a bit under 1000 lbs through it and it seems to be going well. I run 10-11 lbs per batch through. Have had no problems with the mill or drill.

Another thread on the mill:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showth...www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7121793

Fwiw I have the exact mill setup as iijakii. Can't beat it for under 150$. I've put probably a half ton of grain through it at this point and have yet to replace bearings or rollers.
They are usually on sale from adventures in home brewing for $99 and that might include shipping.. I'd say I put about as much though myself maybe more... I've yet so see a single person comment about having to replace either.. The one thing I have had complaints of is the markings on the ends not being correct.. Its best to gap with feeler gauges of credit card or you may bind the roller if its not adjusted parallel.

I really like my Kegco KM11GM-3R. It feels pretty solid compared to the cereal crusher and other cheaper mills. The wing nuts are a bit cheap feeling, otherwise it seems on par with the MM-3, but smaller diameter rollers. I am running it with the HF heavy duty low speed drill. I have a bit under 1000 lbs through it and it seems to be going well. I run 10-11 lbs per batch through. Have had no problems with the mill or drill.

Another thread on the mill:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showth...www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7121793
the kegco 2 roller mill is the cereal killer in disguise so theres a very good chance the kegco 3 roller is made by the same folks I have one on the way to me now to compare.
Both the kegco/kegking 3 roller and mm3 advertise the same 1.5 x6 rollers btw.. CK and kegco/kegking 2 roller advertise 1.25x5

the kegco 2 roller mill is the cereal killer in disguise so theres a very good chance the kegco 3 roller is made by the same folks I have one on the way to me now to compare.
Both the kegco/kegking 3 roller and mm3 advertise the same 1.5 x6 rollers btw.. CK and kegco/kegking 2 roller advertise 1.25x5

Ah, yeah. The cereal killers I've seen had bronze bushings. Looks like they have bearings now. The wing nuts look like the same cheap feeling ones on my kegco. $99 for this seems like a good deal. The 3 roller kegco just has a bigger hopper and maybe bigger roller diameters?

Ah, yeah. The cereal killers I've seen had bronze bushings. Looks like they have bearings now. The wing nuts look like the same cheap feeling ones on my kegco. $99 for this seems like a good deal. The 3 roller kegco just has a bigger hopper and maybe bigger roller diameters?
Yes they had bronze bushing for about the first 6 months they were out then they switched to bearings. The early CK with bushings were supposedly almost dead ringers for the BC. The 3 roller does have 1/2" larger and 1 inch longer rollers... and an 11 lb hopper vs the 7lb hopper on the CK but there was an optional 11lb hopper for the kegco/ck 2 roller... the 3 roller hopper mounting design (stolen from MM) is more robust as well. Ive knocked my hopper off a couple times when I used to move mine around before mounting it with a motor. mines been running this way for almost 4 years. the gear reduction box allows more than enough torque and slower speed if wanted from a smaller motor.

IMG_20171024_081242763.jpg

Cant imagine you'd have any issues with setscrews running out as long as you got it decently aligned.

OK thanks, Iijakii. Be nice to start with a drill, move up to the dedicated motor, then decide from there if I want to take the whole setup further.

They are usually on sale from adventures in home brewing for $99 and that might include shipping.. I'd say I put about as much though myself maybe more... I've yet so see a single person comment about having to replace either.. The one thing I have had complaints of is the markings on the ends not being correct.. Its best to gap with feeler gauges of credit card or you may bind the roller if its not adjusted parallel.

I dont even use the markings. Ive always used my feeler gauges

A couple people here have mentioned the wing nut lock screws and coming loose. The best thing to do with those is toss em in the trash and replace with a proper set of grade 8 set screws.

Guys, any issues with a motor and a set of lovejoy couplers on the CK, without a keyed shaft?

I don't use lovejoys myself but use pulleys and had no issues besides have to replace a belt due to nylon breaking and the belt stretching at one point .. I realize the torque isn't transfered the same way with a belt drive vs a direct drive with only a rubber bushing to help absorb the shock.

I may use lovejoys on my kegco 3 roller which should be delivered by Friday. If I do have an issue a grinder will fix it easily enough by grinding a flat in the shaft for the set screw.
No issues here with the stock set screws but I'll admit I've only played with adjusting the gap a handful of times before settling on a credit card thickness.

I can't recall what they were before, Augie. You're talking about the standard MM2 and 3, right?

Right now, a multi-position torque, variable speed drill and a Kegco 3 is in prime running, though the CK had me only a day ago. I did say somewhere I have a hard time making up my mind. The only thing I never doubted was the use of Spike vessels. Magnificent. Only, er, um, maybe I should have committed to 30...or 50 gallons after all, instead of these puny 20's.:rockin:

I do the same with an old craftsman drill. Works well. I feel I get a good crush. Went from 65 % with lhbs crush to 80 %

Ya I was about the same. Was usually around 60%-65% efficiency from my LHBS (even had Yuseff from Ballast Point tell me in an email once to up my efficiency, ha!) to mid to high 70's

Latest posts

Back