Looking to build a keggle...aluminum or stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xaturnascends

Reaction score
I was at my first local home brewer's meeting last night and a bunch of them suggested that I get some kegs to turn into keggles for my brewpot and mash tun, however, I was also told not to use aluminum. Which used kegs, ig. commercial beers, use steel instead of aluminum for their kegs? I can get used kegs from a local college frat but not sure which "brand" to get for the best keggle.

American Sanky stainless kegs are 30 lbs empty. I have never personally seen them in aluminum.

To my knowledge, they don't produce Sanke kegs in aluminum anymore (since the 70s?), so you would be hard pressed to find one in aluminum. However for the use of aluminum vs. stainless in general, you can search/read extensive debates on here about it. Long story short... aluminum is fine with certain precautions taken.

Thanks for the replies, I have 2 guys in my home brew club that have aluminum sankey kegs for MLT's because they are alot lighter to move around, but if 99 percent of them are stainless i guess I don't have to worry about any of this.

They haven't made aluminum kegs since the 70's. Some can be found here and there (I have an aluminum sanke that was a custom job for a defunct cider maker) but most are stainless steel.

Why did they tell you not to use aluminum? If it's because of Alzheimer's, that's a myth and was a bad study. Aluminum is actually better, as the metal is lighter and transmits heat easier. However, SS is SHINY!

Back