Looking for raw wheat advice on BIAB witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know the issue of cereal mashes, decoctions, protein rests, etc. is involved with raw wheat. But I've never used it until this weekend's planned brew. My searching on this site hasn't really answered my main concern, how to split the mashing up. The recipe is basically 5lbs 2 row, 2.5 lbs raw wheat, 1.5 red wheat malt, .5 lb carapils, .5 lb oats, .5 lb rice hulls. I am using a recirculating ebiab system, but if need be I can mash in a cooler then just boil in the electric kettle. My question is how to treat the raw wheat. I usually get my water additions squared away, then just do a full volume biab. I don't think that's going to be the best. Interested in experienced biabers opinions on how I should approach this for max efficiency and taste. I was thinking perhaps I could get the kettle up to protein rest temp then dump the milled wheat and rice hulls in the bag and recirc for 20-30 min, then ramp it up to strike temp and add the remainder of the grist...

I've had good success adding wheat flour to my IPA/APA grists for body and head retention. However, this is at low % ie less than 5% of the grain bill. When I do it, I mash the wheat along with everything else for 60 minutes as normal.

When I do cereal mashes I use a separate 3 gallon pot. I add the raw grain and enough water and bring that to a boil. Meanwhile, the strike water is heating up for my main kettle. I'll mash in with the grains and then add the raw grain/water from my 3g pot.

If you don't have a separate pot to use and want to use your electric kettle the whole time... I would add a couple gallons of water and the raw grains then set the kettle to boil. Once its boiled a few minutes, add cold water to reach strike water volume. Then mash in with the rest of your grains.

Back