Looking for my style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
I'm looking for a style that fits my taste. I like beers with a strong body but not sweet. I like hop aromas and certain bitterness. ABV something between 7 and 8.5.
Which style / recipe would you suggest?

Thanks!

Well what do you mean by certain bitterness? What commercially available styles do you like that you've tried? It def sounds like iipa, but of course taste and perceptions are all so relative there could be many styles to fit that description. My suggestion is to just go out and try as many styles as you can. If you're married you just tell your wife that she should come with and help you do some scientific research!

Well what do you mean by certain bitterness? What commercially available styles do you like that you've tried?

I like IPA's and IIPA's very much. I just wanted to know if there are other styles I should try out.

Thanks

yeah i was going to suggest a saison. They are the most highly hopped Belgians (or traditional ones anyway) and are never sweet

Here's another thought- Stickealt. I think of it as a hoppy, stronger, not as sweetish Oktoberfest. Commercial example if you're in the Northeast: Long Trail Doublebag.

I'm looking for a style that fits my taste. I like beers with a strong body but not sweet. I like hop aromas and certain bitterness. ABV something between 7 and 8.5.
Which style / recipe would you suggest?

Thanks!

Bohemian Pils, mashed with decoction for a full body, and with a lot of Saaz at end boil!

If you're looking for something a bit darker, you might look into maibocks as they're pretty close to your description if they attenuate well. They can be done with either ale or lager yeast and they also tend to tolerate hops well, too, so you can get a good balanced approach compared to a more malt forward counterparts.

Back