Looking for more info on Megasphaera and Pecinatus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredben

Reaction score
Looking around for general information on bacterial contamination I came across this page fromSigma-Aldrich. On the third page it lists Megasphaera and Pectinatus as not only spoilage organisms, but potentially human pathogens. Is this just fear mongering to sell test kits?? Looking online I could not find any information about human infections from said organisms. Wondering if anyone else had some sources with relevant information.

They don't give species names, so it's a bit tough to make generalizations without expert-level knowledge of those genera, but at least in the case of Megasphaera it looks like a stretch. Megasphaera elsdenii is a standard component of mammal gut flora. Like nearly anything else, it can be pathogenic, but it's really rare. You might consider boiling your beer before injecting it, but if you're limiting yourself to oral consumption it doesn't sound very concerning.

I didn't look into Pectinatus, but I'm sure google scholar would turn up details fairly quickly. I'd be surprised if it turned out to be any different, though.

Finally, fairly technical details (focusing, on large part, in their occurrence as brewing contaminants) can be found in the monstrously enormous encyclopedia The Prokaryotes. Since I suspect I'm in the minority in having access to it, I've uploaded the relevant chapter [ame="http://rapidshare.com/files/448979600/pro.pdf"]here[/ame].

Thanks for the link, I have found a fair bit on the occurence of Megaspheara and Pectinatus in brewing. I just couldn't find anything on human pathogenicity buy I guess I can chalk this up to high-pressure sales tatics.

I was just wondering because that sales brochure made me question my firm stance that "nothing harmful can grow in beer" (except ETOH of course):drunk:

Megasphaera is an infection that is only really seen in gyno cases or immunosuppressed individuals. Not so much pathogenic as opportunistic, the same with Pectinatus. Generally the immune system is strong against these organisms or the body can maintain control with just normal microflora. The infections are the most common due to the lack of immune response in the outer parts of the female reproductive organs. Can be dangerous but in very, very, very small number of cases.

Back