Second fermentation numbers/issues, copied from other forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

On third batch and seem to always find new issues/questions. Decided to move beer to secondary fermentation container after app. 7 days to help reduce sediment in final product. Original SG was 1.42 ... yesterday SG was 1.24. Beer looked fine and was sending up small bubbles slowly but consistently. Beer was clearing and Krauson(?) had dropped to bottom. Once I moved it I dry hopped it with .5 oz of Galaxy hops. Plan to leave it in second fermentation for at least a week before bottling. Will also check SG again and make sure it has stopped dropping. My question is did I move it too soon ? I get this bad feeling that I should have left it alone for up to a week more. Any advice would be great ....thanks !

Quote Reply

[IMG alt="VikeMan"]https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/data/avatars/m/60/60753.jpg?1576679535[/IMG]
VikeMan

JoinedAug 24, 2010Messages1,079Reaction score571
Wednesday at 9:19 AM
naa10104 said:
My question is did I move it too soon ?
My guess is that it will probably be ok. The dry hop character will probably be a bit different though, since you dry hopped during active fermentation rather than after fermentation was finished. (Both are common methods.)

Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="jrgtr42"]https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/data/avatars/m/170/170973.jpg?1589156926[/IMG]
jrgtr42

JoinedOct 4, 2013Messages1,118Reaction score351LocationMetrowest, Massachusets.
Wednesday at 9:34 AM
Generally you really don't even need to move to secondary. As long as you're not constantly moving and disturbing the fermenter, it'll drop clear when it's ready.
Unless you're needing to bulk age for fruit (and not even always then,) wood (ditto,) or souring, moving to a secondary can cause more issues than it corrects - you have that much more chances of picking up infections, oxidation and so on.
That said, you want your primary fermentation to be over or very nearly so when you move to secondary, presuming you do that. So that will come to the questions of what was your expected FG, did you check the gravity a couple times to see if it was still moving?
Most likely you moved too soon, but that's not a major issue - there's still enough yeast in there to continue fermenting, but you'll probably have a big of a lag phase as they reproduce enough to finish the job.

Like Quote Reply

[IMG alt="VikeMan"]https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/data/avatars/m/60/60753.jpg?1576679535[/IMG]
VikeMan

Wednesday at 9:42 AM
jrgtr42 said:
there's still enough yeast in there to continue fermenting, but you'll probably have a big of a lag phase as they reproduce enough to finish the job.
I dunno. All the yeast that were in suspension would have been racked along with the beer, which leads to the question...

Do yeast that have already flocculated and settled participate in attenuation? Do they ever re-suspend and re-engage? Can yeast in the yeast cake attenuate sugars in place? I've never been able to find an answer to this.

Like Quote Reply

OP
N
naa10104

JoinedJul 1, 2020Messages6Reaction score0
Wednesday at 9:50 AM
jrgtr42 said:
Generally you really don't even need to move to secondary. As long as you're not constantly moving and disturbing the fermenter, it'll drop clear when it's ready.
Unless you're needing to bulk age for fruit (and not even always then,) wood (ditto,) or souring, moving to a secondary can cause more issues than it corrects - you have that much more chances of picking up infections, oxidation and so on.
That said, you want your primary fermentation to be over or very nearly so when you move to secondary, presuming you do that. So that will come to the questions of what was your expected FG, did you check the gravity a couple times to see if it was still moving?
Most likely you moved too soon, but that's not a major issue - there's still enough yeast in there to continue fermenting, but you'll probably have a big of a lag phase as they reproduce enough to finish the job.

Quote Reply

OP
N
naa10104

Wednesday at 9:54 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. I did not do multiple SG's to see if the yeast was done. Just the one at 1.24. I was told that moving cuts down on the sediment/crud that ends up going into your bottles ... that is the main reason I moved it to the second bucket. I will probably give it a solid week then check the SG again. May wait a few days after that and check SG again to make sure it has reached it's lowest reading. Is there a final SG reading that indictes done or a bottom figure ? THanks

Quote Reply

[IMG alt="jrgtr42"]https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/data/avatars/m/170/170973.jpg?1589156926[/IMG]
jrgtr42

Wednesday at 9:54 AM
VikeMan said:
I dunno. All the yeast that were in suspension would have been racked along with the beer, which leads to the question...

Do yeast that have already flocculated and settled participate in attenuation? Do they ever re-suspend and re-engage? Can yeast in the yeast cake attenuate sugars in place? I've never been able to find an answer to this.
That's a good question, and I don't have an answer - I presume that settles yeast could still help in attenuation - it's not just dead yeast. I don't know if they'd resuspend - maybe if natural circulation is strong enough some of the top layers may come back up?
I presume if they're still alive, if sugars get to them they'll still process it.

Like Quote Reply

jrgtr42

Wednesday at 9:58 AM
naa10104 said:
Thanks to all for the replies. I did not do multiple SG's to see if the yeast was done. Just the one at 1.24. I was told that moving cuts down on the sediment/crud that ends up going into your bottles ... that is the main reason I moved it to the second bucket. I will probably give it a solid week then check the SG again. May wait a few days after that and check SG again to make sure it has reached it's lowest reading. Is there a final SG reading that indictes done or a bottom figure ? THanks
If you're careful in racking from fermenter, you'll leave the crud behind. If you have a racking cane, hold it just above the level of the trub, and you'll get all the beer and none (minimal) of the stuff. What I do is start the low somewhere in the middle. I then lower it down in the fermenter until I see stuff start flowing up through the tubing. At that point, bring it back up just a little until it's flowing clear again. You should still have enough yeast in suspension to carbonate, but I don't worry about a little bit more coming through.

Like Quote Reply

OP
N
naa10104

Today at 9:39 AM
Hello,

Today took SG reading which indicated 1.20, one week ago it was 1.24. Does not appear to be any fermentation occuring. No bubbling and has cleared up some more. Hops that I added a week ago in a bag are dissolved and some residue floating on top. No activity in airlock. Two questions, okay to bottle now ? Also, all the SG reading were taken with the wort in the 6.5 gal bucket. Is this okay compared to taking a sample in a beaker/tube ? Have seen it done both ways. Thanks very much !

Quote Reply
Report Edit

VikeMan

Today at 9:46 AM
OG was 1.042 and it's at 1.020? Most (like 99.9% of) 1.042 beers would not be finished at 1.020. What was the recipe?

Like Quote Reply

OP
N
naa10104

Today at 9:51 AM
Hello,

3 lbs Dark Sorghum/3 lbs. Brown Rice syrup/.5 lbs. dried Rice sugar/4 oz Maltodextrin/2 tablespoons Dark Candi syrup/ 1/2 Whirlfloc tablet/.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient/ 1 pack (11g) Nottingham HP Ale yeast. 3 varieties of Hops. My concern is that i moved the wort to the secondary fermenter to early and interrupted the fermenting process. It looks good and smells good, my calculations for ABV right now put it at app. 3.8% . Thanks

Quote Reply
Report Edit

VikeMan

Today at 10:11 AM
naa10104 said:
3 lbs Dark Sorghum/3 lbs. Brown Rice syrup/.5 lbs. dried Rice sugar/4 oz Maltodextrin/2 tablespoons Dark Candi syrup/ 1/2 Whirlfloc tablet/.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient/ 1 pack (11g) Nottingham HP Ale yeast. 3 varieties of Hops. My concern is that i moved the wort to the secondary fermenter to early and interrupted the fermenting process. It looks good and smells good, my calculations for ABV right now put it at app. 3.8% . Thanks
You might want to check out one of the many ABV calculators on line. 1.042 -> 1.020 = ~2.9% ABV

I've never used any of those first 3 ingredients, so I can't comment on their fermentability. Maybe the gluten free sub-forum guys would know. I think I know exactly one of them, so... paging @skleice.

Any ideas on above thread ? Did I move to second fermenter too early ? At this point should I bottle and be done with it ? Or should I try to restart the fermentation, probably not I think. Thanks !

Back