Looking for more body and mouth feel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegchef

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest what i can do to get my home brews to finish with a "thicker" heavier mouth feel like commercial craft beers. Specifically stouts, porters, etc... I just made an imperial stout 10% abv and it still seems very "thin," flavor is good but lacks that "thick" mouth feel that commercial craft brews have. Any help would be appreciated.

maltodextrin

To sweeten lactose.

Or choose a yeast that doesn't eat as much such as safale 04

You can also incorporate more grains that contribute unfermentable sugars such as dextrin malt, caramel/crystal malts, biscuit, and victory malts, etc.

I have a pretty good stout that is just too thin for my taste. I'm thinking about adding maltodextrin or lactose after the fact to adjust it for my tastes.

Can anyone suggest what i can do to get my home brews to finish with a "thicker" heavier mouth feel like commercial craft beers. Specifically stouts, porters, etc... I just made an imperial stout 10% abv and it still seems very "thin," flavor is good but lacks that "thick" mouth feel that commercial craft brews have. Any help would be appreciated.

How long did you let it sit in the fermenter and how much more time did you give it in the bottles? Big beers take lots of time to mature and the apparent body and mouthfeel will develop as the beer matures. Heck, my robust porter that was only half that ABV took some time to get good. I seem to remember it really tasting robust at about 3 months in the bottle.

Use anywhere from a half pound to a pound of carapils and it will have a noticable effect. You could also use flaked barley, but that would require mashing.

RM-MN said:
Um....did you happen to notice that this is the extract portion of HomeBrewTalk?
Lol nope sure didnt. Might wanna go with that maltodextrin recommendation then. Just be advised that stuff will give you room clearing gas.

RM-MN said:
How long did you let it sit in the fermenter and how much more time did you give it in the bottles? Big beers take lots of time to mature and the apparent body and mouthfeel will develop as the beer matures. Heck, my robust porter that was only half that ABV took some time to get good. I seem to remember it really tasting robust at about 3 months in the bottle.

It's been aging in a corny keg for about 6 months now.

Back