Looking For Lager Yeast Recomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
For the last year I've been brewing Bo Pils, Dunkel and Oktoberfest just about exclusively with Wyeast 2124. I have my recipes down to where I like them and now I think I'd like to try a different yeast to change things up a little. What would be your yeast recommendation for these 3 styles? I'd like to reuse the same yeast for all three.

I believe 2124 is about the same thing as 34/70, so I think S-23 would be another great yeast to try in those styles. I've used it personally and have had good results, I think Wyeast calls it 2206. I never buy liquid when dry is available for the style I need so I'm not 100% sure about that.

I just used WY2206 in a Vienna and higher gravity Bock (1.075) as my last two beers. With large yeast pitch for both, it got up and running very quickly even when pitched at 46 and controlled to 48 for fermentation. Only took 6 days for both beers to get to diacetyl rest. Tasted pretty good at racking (nice and malty as desired), though I havent started drinking either yet.

My first lager yeast for an Oktoberfest was WY2308. Huge diacetyl formed initially (though cleaned up with a D-rest). I'm sure I could have pitched more yeast though as that was my first lager. Probably not a fair comparison.

It doesn't always get a lot of love, but WLP 830 is rock solid. 833 is excellent as well, but I have had more consistent results with 830.

I LOVE WLP833 and WY2206. WY2206 leaves an amazing malty flavor and floccs hardest of all lager strains I've used, but attenuates on the low side. WLP833 is good for everything.

WY2124 is awesome too, and is damn close to WLP830. WY2124 has given me my cleanest lagers, although I find the flavor profile to be a little less interesting than 833/2206. It's the Chico of lager yeasts. W34/70 is very close to 2124/830 but throws more sulfur during fermentation.

WLP820 is garbage, S23 is garbage. They're supposedly sourced from the same strain (Weihenstephan 206) as WY2206, but they're very different from WY2206. 820 is unpredictable, unreliable, and slow. S23 tastes like juicy fruit gum. Don't bother.

WLP835 (from the Andechs brewery) is available now as a platinum strain, so if you like their beers give it a try. WLP860 should be available in a couple months.

I've been keeping a culture of WLP833 going for several months now and I just use it for everything. I think it's perfect for dunkel and marzen. Honestly, it would work more than fine for Bo Pils but if you're going for authenticity then the Urquell strain is what you want.

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about 833, probably be one of my top choices. I wanted to try 835 but its out of stock at N Brewer. I have about a week and a half before I brew again so maybe it will be in by then.

Anyone try the Urquell strain for darker lagers?

Just tapped my Mexican Vienna for the SuperBowl last night. I really liked it, it was malty both in aroma and taste and was uber clean. My wife kept going back to the tap to get refills. So I think WY2206 may be my lager strain of choice for the foreseeable future. Should be even better in the Bock that is currently lagering.

I'm using wyeast 2206 right now for a German Pils, did 5.5 days at 50-52 and then let it raise to 66. Pulled a sample and it's ridiculously clean. Like, I could barely taste the yeast and it still had some krausen. Still chugging along, but airlock activity died down a lot by day 5. Really looking forward to this, thinking of making a Helles or a Dortmunder after this batch.

I've used WLP838 quite a bit with great results. It's fast, clean, malty and clears really well. I've used it for light, medium and dark colored lagers. Makes an awesome Helles.

Cheers.

Just tapped my Mexican Vienna for the SuperBowl last night. I really liked it, it was malty both in aroma and taste and was uber clean. My wife kept going back to the tap to get refills. So I think WY2206 may be my lager strain of choice for the foreseeable future. Should be even better in the Bock that is currently lagering.

Just curious, what was your recipe for the mexican Vienna?

Just curious, what was your recipe for the mexican Vienna?

Happy to share :mug:

9.25 lbs Vienna
12 oz corn meal (no flaked corn in my storage bin)
0.5 lbs Caramunich I
1 oz carafa III (add last 5 min of mash for color)

1.056 OG, 1.011 FG, 5.9% Mash 151F for 60 min

0.75 oz Perle (8.6%) 60 min
1 oz Hallertau (homegrown) 20 min
25 IBU est

WY2206, 3.5 gallon starter, decant
Pitch at 46F, Control between 47-49F days 1/2, 48-50 days 3/4, 49-51 days 5/6. D-rest at 60, hold 48 hrs. Rack and lager @ 34F for 4 weeks

Picked up WLP 835 German Lager X today at N Brewer,
last one they had left. Should be interesting comparing it to my usual WY 2124.

First brew with WLP 835 was a success. Ofest with 50/50 Pils/Munich and a few ounces of caramunich. Very clean and malty brew. I have 4 more Lagers in the pipeline using this yeast and now I'm searching for another yeast to try. Contenders are WY 2000, WY 2206, WLP 833 or that limited release Munich Helles by White Labs.

I've got a helles with WLP835 lagering now, tastes great!

WLP833 is my usual go-to strain, but I'd like to do a string of WLP835 beers every year when they release it. WY2206 is another favorite of mine, especially for malty beers. It doesn't do so well for a German pils because it's a low attenuator, but try it in an oktoberfest or maibock!

I've got a helles with WLP835 lagering now, tastes great!

WLP833 is my usual go-to strain, but I'd like to do a string of WLP835 beers every year when they release it. WY2206 is another favorite of mine, especially for malty beers. It doesn't do so well for a German pils because it's a low attenuator, but try it in an oktoberfest or maibock!

I'll probably go with WLP 833, Ayinger makes some damn fine beers.

Still kind of curious about Wyeast 2000 Budvar, I've read some good things about it for Bo Pils which is one beer I'm trying to fine tune. You have any experience with it?

I haven't used 2000. Supposedly cleaner than the urquell yeast (I.e. No diacetyl). I like a hint of diacetyl in my czech lagers, but it doesn't need to be present for a good beer.

Back