Looking for advice on a Belgian white cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
Has anyone made a Belgian white cider similar to what woodchuck has done? I was going to give it a shot. I found an old video from them where they say they used Belgian yeast, coriander, and orange peel to make it. I figured I’d use a Belgian witbier yeast but I’m not sure how much coriander and orange peel or when to add it. After looking at several beer recipes my best guess is 0.1 oz of each per gallon added at the beginning as they are added in the beginning for the beer. If you have ever tried something like this please let me know what you think!

In beer coriander and orange peel are boiled and that's how they release their flavour.

In cider you have no boil so you can infuse it directly in the cider, before or after fermentation or you can extract de flavor with another liquid and add it in.

I won't add it before fermentation, first because fermentation will blow off a part of what you are looking for and second because there is more infection risk as there is no alcool to protect the cider.

After fermentation will be ok but you have to find a way to remove it so you must probably do a special racking which is always risky after femrentation (oxydation issue). Filtration with orange peel and crushed coriander grain is often messy.

A good a easy way to do it is to infuse it into alcool (apple brandy is generally my go to) an after a few weeks, you filter the alcool and pour it into the cider. You can choose the good quantity by tasting so you also avoid over flavoring you cider. Google tincture if you don't know about this technique at all.

You can do the same boiling it into water, even cider if you prefer.

I was considering using tinctures at the end but I haven’t done this yet. Using apple brandy is genius, I’ve only heard of people using vodka for this. Thank you for all the advice, I will likely go this route, however I am nervous about trying solely on my palate when dosing them at the end!

Last edited:
I agree with doublejef on the tincture method for extracting flavors. I have used Lallemand Belgian Abbaye yeast for ciders and was very pleased with the flavors. Haven't added to it, though, so may give this a try. Thanks for the idea!

I agree with doublejef on the tincture method for extracting flavors. I have used Lallemand Belgian Abbaye yeast for ciders and was very pleased with the flavors. Haven't added to it, though, so may give this a try. Thanks for the idea!
If you do add to it please let me know how it goes! It’ll be a couple months before I try this I imaging

If you do add to it please let me know how it goes! It’ll be a couple months before I try this I imaging
I have a cider made with the Abbaye yeast that is about ready for bottling. Yesterday I started my tinctures: 1 oz each of coriander seeds (toasted and cracked) and Clementine peels (julienned) in separate containers with enough vodka to cover by about 1/2 inch. I'll shake them several times a day for a week or so then see if they are ready to go.

I have a cider made with the Abbaye yeast that is about ready for bottling. Yesterday I started my tinctures: 1 oz each of coriander seeds (toasted and cracked) and Clementine peels (julienned) in separate containers with enough vodka to cover by about 1/2 inch. I'll shake them several times a day for a week or so then see if they are ready to go.
Okay, I did as stated here but left them in the vodka for 2 weeks, shaking well a couple of times a day. Bottled yesterday. The sample I took was pretty tasty. Flavors and aromas of coriander and citrus were subtle but definitely there and complemented the slightly sweet and fruity taste of the cider. I think the amounts were on the low end, so could handle more if you want a really coriander or citrus forward taste and aroma.

Okay, I did as stated here but left them in the vodka for 2 weeks, shaking well a couple of times a day. Bottled yesterday. The sample I took was pretty tasty. Flavors and aromas of coriander and citrus were subtle but definitely there and complemented the slightly sweet and fruity taste of the cider. I think the amounts were on the low end, so could handle more if you want a really coriander or citrus forward taste and aroma.
So how much of the tincture did you add? Or did you add all of the vodka from each of your tinctures? I’m about to open up my fermenter and try mine, I’m expecting to have to add more based on what you found in your batch

Just to follow up, bottled 08/04. Flavors are good, just a hint of coriander and citrus and a very little sweetness I'll attribute to the Abbaye yeast. Apparently I screwed up my priming sugar measurement, so it isn't carbed as much as I wanted, but it is a good tasting cider.

Just to follow up, bottled 08/04. Flavors are good, just a hint of coriander and citrus and a very little sweetness I'll attribute to the Abbaye yeast. Apparently I screwed up my priming sugar measurement, so it isn't carbed as much as I wanted, but it is a good tasting cider.
Awesome, I kegged the one I made. It definitely came out interesting but not what I was shooting for. I think making a tea instead of a tincture was the wrong move, I will be trying it again with the tincture method.

I do think the alcohol does a better job of getting the flavor/oils from the coriander and citrus. My son tasted this one and asked me to do one for his wedding, I'll definitely do one more (and try to get the carbonation right!). Good luck on your next one!

Back