Looking for a way to clone Asti sparkling wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey3

Reaction score
You can find a clone recipe for most everything online, but I can't find a lick about Asti.

I don't care which brand. Martini & Rossi Asti, Tosti Asti, doesn't matter. Just looking for something close.

Thanks.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good asti clone. My mom keeps asking me if i will brew her some.

Thanks

Isnt that just a fruity champagne? If so, maybe some carb'd apfelwien would be in order :)

My SWMBO loves Asti so I was looking it up a while ago. I was thinking of making a moscato grape kit and then sweetening it up after fermentation.

From Wiki:
Asti or Asti Spumante is a DOCG white sparkling wine produced in an area to the south of the town of Asti in Piedmont, Italy. Made from the Moscato Bianco grape, it is sweet and low in alcohol, and often drunk with dessert. It retains its sweetness through a complex filtration process. Another wine called Moscato d'Asti is made in the same region from the same grape, but produced by another technique which differentiates it from Asti.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asti_(wine)

Found a moscato kit here Wine Kits Plus .com - Winemaking supplies, kits and equipment.: Mosto Italiano

I just havent got around to doing it yet. (Fermentors are all full atm)

My SWMBO loves Asti so I was looking it up a while ago. I was thinking of making a moscato grape kit and then sweetening it up after fermentation.

From Wiki:
Asti or Asti Spumante is a DOCG white sparkling wine produced in an area to the south of the town of Asti in Piedmont, Italy. Made from the Moscato Bianco grape, it is sweet and low in alcohol, and often drunk with dessert. It retains its sweetness through a complex filtration process. Another wine called Moscato d'Asti is made in the same region from the same grape, but produced by another technique which differentiates it from Asti.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asti_(wine)

Found a moscato kit here Wine Kits Plus .com - Winemaking supplies, kits and equipment.: Mosto Italiano

I just havent got around to doing it yet. (Fermentors are all full atm)
Reviving an old thread -- did you ever end up getting your Asti clone project nailed?

Cheers [emoji111]

I've done this exact thing. I used a moscato kit to make a sweet white wine. Kegged and pressure-filtered through 5 micron and 0.5 micron filters til very very clear. Carbonated to about 45psi for about 1 month.

The wine was very carbonated, but sadly it lost almost all the carbonation while bottling. I used a blichmann beergun. Yea, I chilled everything. When I do it again, I'll buy a better counterpressure bottling apparatus - this one: https://www.amazon.com/WilliamsWarn...00N3D9POI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The resulting wine was still really good, but not bubbly.

I bottle carbed some muscadine wine last year. starting to drink it now and it is very nice.

That might be the easiest way I guess, just bottle carb it. That's how traditional champagne is made I think. They bottle carb it with a temporary cork, then freeze it with the bottle upside down. The yeast freezes into the cork area. They then pull the temporary cork and with it the yeast, then recork with the real cork, then let it thaw. Anyway, I think that's the way. It's called champagne methode or something similar. It sounded like a hassle to me before, but maybe I'll give it a try on my next effort.

You need to remove the sediment if you want to bottle an unpasteurized low-ABV sweet wine with natural carbonation :)

Yea, these are back-sweetened wines. After fermentation, and after the yeast has been completely killed with sorbate, more grape juice (must?) is added to the fermentor. I can't quite figure out how to carbonate then without fermenting out the new juice.

Yea, these are back-sweetened wines. After fermentation, and after the yeast has been completely killed with sorbate, more grape juice (must?) is added to the fermentor. I can't quite figure out how to carbonate then without fermenting out the new juice.
You accurately described the méthode champenoise.
Ferment dry, prime, bottle, allow to carbonate. Concentrate the sediment in the neck, freeze the sediment (not the whole bottle). Uncork, remove the sediment. Add the back-sweetening must with stabilizers. Re-cork.

Bottle pasteurization or force carbonation are easier options.

Latest posts

Back