Looking for a good clip-on dial thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
I'm in the market for good, reliable clip-on dial thermometer. Something with a probe that's at least 18 inches long, preferably 24 to make sure it'll reach into the wort in my 10 gallon Tall Boy kettle. I had a cheap one that I bought on Amazon, but after a couple of brews I noticed that it seemed to be off and there's no way to calibrate it. At full boil, it was reading over 220 degrees and when I compared it to my digital thermometer, which is calibrated, I discovered the dial thermometer was reading 10-12 degrees high. My digital thermometer seems to be accurate, but it's kind of a pain to stand there and hold it in the hot water or wort and wait for it to get a temp. So, any suggestions?

I just use a cheap one from my lhbs. There is a nut where the dial connects to the probe to calibrate it. I need to check it against my lab grade digital thermometer every brew day, cause the dial thermometer is out of calibration on 1 out of 3 brew days. I think thats just the deal with dial thermometers, I havent found one that is noticeably better.

Latest posts

Back