Looking for a decent bottle brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3Bruce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a problem finding a good bottle brush these days. A few years ago, the LHBS I normally deal with changed their bottle brushes for the worse. What is worse, other LHBSs in the area seem to get their brushes from the same place. I have an old brush that still works fine, but the new ones use coarser bristles made of a plastic that doesn't really return to the proper shape, and are worthless after a few bottles.

The LHBS was sympathetic, I am not the only one who has complained. They said they get their brushes from the same place they always have. I asked them to look into an alternate source, but I don't see any change on their shelves yet. Has anyone found a good brush lately, and can post a link here?

I have the same brush I started with. I also don't use it with very hot to boiling water. Being nylon monofilament, the bristles will warp from the heat. I got mine from JW Dover, but Midwest, NB, Morebeer, etc should have the same thing. I also have a roll around cart with a wood top & hooks on one end to hang things from. So I keep my brushes, paddles, etc hung up so the brushes have a better chance of retaining their shape.

You've brought up an excellent point. Things aren't made as well as before anymore. It's happening all around us, and been going on for at least 3 decades.

I still use my 7-year old bottle brush, which is probably the better, older model. The new ones look crappy indeed. I think BSG and LD Carlton are the main sundry suppliers for LHBSs, so the same crap shows up everywhere. :(

I found baby bottle brushes at the Dollar Tree that are decent, bristle-wise, but really too short for our bottles. They come with a nipple brush on the other end, which is great. The only drawback is the twisted wire stem bends easily, and after straightening out a few times the nipple brush breaks off, making it even shorter. Perhaps the brush parts could be mounted on a dowel or other handle instead?

Perhaps lab equipment suppliers? Be prepared to pay top $$$, though.

Back