Looking for a Burner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle418

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken ~ Colonel Sand
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I did a search for this topic as I am loathe to have repeat posts and came up with nothing. I apologize in advance if this question has been asked over and over and over....

Ok, I'm looking for a burner for taking on this new "hobby"... I see that Bass Pro sells this which is apparently made by Ramkan who also sells it as this. Is this enough of a burner should I decide to head to AG??

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Depot sells a 30q turkey fryer for about $80. Don't have a link right now, but a friend and I were looking at it over the weekend. Nice price for a good pot and burner.

That spigot doesn't look like one you'd be able to take apart to clean, though I could be wrong.

I'm actually going to check EXACTLY that, a friend of mine has this setup (he doesn't use it for homebrew... yet) and I was going to have him check and see if its screwed in or if its welded on. If it screws in, I think it should be easily removable, but if it isn't I'm concerned as well.

Don't get a 30 qt turkey frier. You will outgrow it rather rapidly. Just buy a burner and get at least 40 qt kettle. You can thank me later.

Sounds like a plan. It may even save me a few shekels. I just remembered the spigot and it seemed like the "bees knees" so I didn't have to lift the kettle after brewing.

I'm noticing a lot of the reviews mention some of these burners coming with a 10 PSI regulator, even when they were advertised as coming with a 20 PSI regulator.

If sticking with 5 gallon batches, is the 10 PSI regulator strong enough?

I'm noticing a lot of the reviews mention some of these burners coming with a 10 PSI regulator, even when they were advertised as coming with a 20 PSI regulator.

If sticking with 5 gallon batches, is the 10 PSI regulator strong enough?

The burner I linked to above has a 10 psi regulator. I've brought 12 gallons of wort to a rolling boil with it. So, yes, the 10 PSI regulator is strong enough for 5 gallons. I think you'd do better to look at the BTUs, and how those BTUs are distributed across the bottom of a pot. This one has 55,000 BTUs. Others are stronger, with 90,000, but they often are just a single jet in the center.

I'd get the 60 qt turkey fryer and burner setup. I was using this for my BIAB for several brews and it was just as easy as doing a extract boil on the stove, and you get the benefits of a full boil.

I'd get the 60 qt turkey fryer and burner setup. I was using this for my BIAB for several brews and it was just as easy as doing a extract boil on the stove, and you get the benefits of a full boil.

Which 60qt turkey fryer are you talking about? Could you provide a link? Thanks!

Many supplies have burners. Also outdoor bbq places do to.

Get a quality one that kicks out some BTU's.

And I dont use aluminum - maybe something I read years ago - save your pennies and get a decent ss brew pot. My first one was a Paul Revere I found at an outlet store for cheap. Ended up buying a nicer one later and still use the old one for heat up sparge water.

The SQ-14 has already been mentioned and is a great burner. A 40 quart aluminum stockpot and the burner you can buy from amazon for 92 bucks and free shipping. I have two of the burners and like them, especially for the price, plus they are built like a tank.

The SQ-14 has already been mentioned and is a great burner. A 40 quart aluminum stockpot and the burner you can buy from amazon for 92 bucks and free shipping. I have two of the burners and like them, especially for the price, plus they are built like a tank.

I also have two of the Bayou Classic SQ14 burners and stands. Bought these from Amazon for $45 plus free shipping. I have used these to boil batches over 15 gallons. The frame is very strong and well balanced. I am not saying that the other burners you are looking at are not a good buy because I have not seen them up close in action, but I will say that I was impressed well enough after using one sq14 to buy another. I have used these with keggles and 100 quartpots with no stability problems and have had plenty of heat to get the job done (even in winter.)

Go Reds....

waffle418 said:
So, I did a search for this topic as I am loathe to have repeat posts and came up with nothing. I apologize in advance if this question has been asked over and over and over....

Ok, I'm looking for a burner for taking on this new "hobby"... I see that Bass Pro sells this which is apparently made by Ramkan who also sells it as this. Is this enough of a burner should I decide to head to AG??

There's a guy on here selling 2 byou classic burners right now for a very reasonable price, look in the classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up going with this one: http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...0151_10051_27749_-1?Ntt=propane+stand&Ntk=All

The round top fits perfectly within the bottom skirt of a 15.5-gallon keg. I had to cut out the centers of the 3 v-shaped supports so the keg would sit level, but that was the only necessary hack. I wouldn't mind reinforcing the base/legs somehow, but otherwise it works like a charm.

74312d1346640025-first-time-keggle-project-615202_10151174420570813_1007508766_o.jpg

Good idea on reinforcing the base. From the picture it looks a bit lightweight to hold a full keggle, but that's just an opinion from somebody who is looking at a picture (which could be misconceiving). If it does wobble reinforce it for sure.

Back