Looking for a beginner recipe with a certain type of flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kneller

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a recipe for my first mead, but want to try to hit a certain flavor. I was looking at the BOMM recipe, but I don't think that will hit the mark. I'm shooting for dry to slightly sweet finish. A lot of beginner recipes I'm seeing uses orange blossom honey and/or oranges, but I want to avoid any citrus notes, if possible. Instead, I want to tap into the florals of the wildflower honey I plan to use, possibly also throwing in a tisane of hibiscus, roses, or something of the like to start. Probably shooting for an abv of around 15% (definitely in the double digits, though). I'm fine with aging for a bit to let it mature. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Wow. Nailed it. Do you happen to know a good sub for Wyeast 1388 for this? I'm leaning towards sticking with dry yeast to be more cost effective. Everything I've read about D-47 (seemingly the most popular) indicates it lends itself more to fruity/citrus notes, and nothing I've read about screams "floral".

If I remember right, For a dry yeast version of the BOMM, he’s had some success with Lallemand Abbaye Ale yeast, but you need to use tosna instead of his SNA protocol.

Back