Look what I found....need help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulshe

Reaction score
I had a random half glass of beer left in my room near the window. a day later i have this....

IMG_20150823_085631.jpg

Loosly covered it and had this by the end of day

IMG_20150823_170954.jpg

Made a starter and stepped it up. Cold crashed it. Then let it sit for a day at 70 degrees. Had this in there

IMG_20150829_113815.jpg

Made another starter that is very active and I'll have enough to split into two. I want to brew this week for a 2 or 3 gallon batch. The starter that I poured off was pretty damn funky. So what sort of recipe would anyone advise. Of course, I have no idea what I'm dealing with so this is a pure experiment.

50% pilsner 50% wheat:mug:

I agree. With your favorite hops at 60 and 15 minutes. The yeast will supply the aroma.

I would use saaz. Just my preference for that kind of funky yeast. Maybe Willamette to bitter because that's my go to.

Thanks.....so I assume medium to light on the amount of hops. Maybe for 3 gallon batch something like this?

3 lbs pilsner
3 lbs wheat
1 oz of whatever bittering hop (at around 6 aa): 60 minutes
1 oz of aroma (pretty sure i have some saaz waiting for this) 5 minutes

Mash right around 152 (or should I be shooting for more or less on this based on this yeast)

And the trickier questions. What temp for fermentation and how long. My normal ale target is 68 for 2 to 3 weeks. I suspect with the unknown of this yeast I'll just want to sample until it stops.

Run it through a calculator. I think a full oz for bittering might be high.

Yeah more like 1/2 oz. I'm going to make a 6 gallon batch and split between two fermenters. One with this wild yeast one with s-05.

Should be fun, planning on brewing tomorrow.

Do you just want it to be weird funky and hoppy or are you going to age this for a bit and let it get really sour? If so then don't use many hops at all as they will inhibit the bugs. I would shoot for maybe 10 IBUs

I don't really have a plan. This is all new to me. I'm not really a fan of the sours and the funk. This is more of one of those do it because i can things. I'm not one to only brew what I like. So any advice or suggestion is good. I suppose if I was going to the sour then I should plan on bottling and aging. Although I can reserve a keg for the aging as well.

I wouldn't bottle it until it's aged for a bit. Depending on what you cultured some of the bugs in there could be slow workers and keep fermenting slowly over a few months causing bottle bombs.

What kind of beer did you have in there. If it had a decent amount of hops then you probably have something more hop resistant.

The beer that "caught" the yeast was a chocolate oatmeal porter. So low to mid hops. I brewed today and just went with a pretty standard recipe...

5 lbs pilnser malt
4 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs munich
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz hallatauer (4.6%) for boil

Split the batch into two fermenters. About 3 gallons each at 1.052. Will pitch s-05 in one and the wild yeast in the other. I'll probably do a dry hop onthe s-05 one to give it a little more something.

We will see how this all turns out.

The beer that "caught" the yeast was a chocolate oatmeal porter. So low to mid hops. I brewed today and just went with a pretty standard recipe...

5 lbs pilnser malt
4 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs munich
1 lb flaked oats
1 oz hallatauer (4.6%) for boil

Split the batch into two fermenters. About 3 gallons each at 1.052. Will pitch s-05 in one and the wild yeast in the other. I'll probably do a dry hop onthe s-05 one to give it a little more something.

We will see how this all turns out.

You might want to ferment the wild one a little higher than the us-05. Sounds like a pretty simple blonde.

latest update. I ended up splitting the batch and used the different yeast. Since I only have one chamber they went in together at a temp of 67. Tonight I sampled and measured. They both appear to be done.

The wild yeast ended at 1005. The S-05 at 1012.

They look identical. Taste wise. the S-05 is as clean as I'd expect. The wild yeast has a slightly more yeasty flavor but it's not a ton of funk. Drinkable as is. Now I'm thinking of blending them back together and drop into a keg. More for convenience than anything else. Any wheat beer fan could easily drink this. I'm not big on wheat beers and I'm almost tempted to turn this into a raspberry wheat. I'll decide by the end of the week.

So I have a jar of the wild yeast saved so I think I might try it with a more pale recipe or go for a more traditional belgium wit.

fun stuff all around.

latest update. I ended up splitting the batch and used the different yeast. Since I only have one chamber they went in together at a temp of 67. Tonight I sampled and measured. They both appear to be done.

The wild yeast ended at 1005. The S-05 at 1012.

They look identical. Taste wise. the S-05 is as clean as I'd expect. The wild yeast has a slightly more yeasty flavor but it's not a ton of funk. Drinkable as is. Now I'm thinking of blending them back together and drop into a keg. More for convenience than anything else. Any wheat beer fan could easily drink this. I'm not big on wheat beers and I'm almost tempted to turn this into a raspberry wheat. I'll decide by the end of the week.

So I have a jar of the wild yeast saved so I think I might try it with a more pale recipe or go for a more traditional belgium wit.

fun stuff all around.

Let the wild one go longer just to be sure it's done.

You could let it go a little longer and pitch a vile of brett or some dregs from a beer.

Makes me sad. By happenstance I had spontaneous fermentation occur in an apple juice bottle I halfway drank and left in a vehicle this spring. I discovered it, chilled, sampled, it was excellent. I added more apple juice, chilled, sampled, still excellent and now enough yeast to create an initial starter. Alas, we were moving this summer and my wife tossed it... even after I specifically told her it was in the extra fridge, etc. :( It wasn't wild-funky, but clean, best tasting apple cider I ever sampled! :(

Latest update. I waited another week. And yep, the wild one, dropped another 4 points to right around 1.001. Interestingly the taste is not dry. So tonight I blended them back together on top of 3 lbs of frozen raspberries. I suspect that the wild stuff will start munching a little again. I saved two jars of slurry so think I might do some more with this one.

A friend I have at work who does ciders said he'll give it a shot.

The taste of the wild one is not very funky. Just a tad more bready/yeasty.

So now to wait 3 weeks and hopefully drop this in a keg.

The experiment continues.

I checked the reading 3 weeks ago and hell if that yeast just ate thru all the sugar from the fruit. Gravity at 1.001. So I kegged it and 2 weeks ago added one pound of lactose. It's good. Not my cup of tea but as soon as I let the gals have a taste I think this one will get consumed. With the lactose added the alcohol level is very well hidden. Taking it to an event tomorrow night. We'll see what kind of reaction I get.

Back