Look at all the Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2 inches of trub? This my American Blonde Ale waiting for me to bottle tomorrow. I never did any hydrometer readings as I goofed up on my first reading, so I'm taking my chances there is enuff alcohol.

photo.jpg

Looking good. I take hydro readings (just to see what the alcohol content is) but still leave my beer in the fermenter for at least three weeks. I don't get all wound up on the hydro readings other than it lets me know when fermentation has ceased. When I take the final gravity reading it is what it is, at that point not a whole lot I can do about it. Either the beer is drinkable or it isn't.

Definitely take readings before transferring/bottling/kegging. You want to be sure fermentation is completely done and you've reached a proper terminal gravity.

Was it AG or Extract? How well, if at all, did you filter? No real concern for that much trub, it happens... :ban:

That amount of trub doesn't seen too uncommon to me. Also, taking gravity readings isnt about making sure there is "enuff alcohol," its about determining whether the fermentation is done. It looks like the krausen has fallen, I believe you are probably done.

I get that much trub every time I brew. Of course I also never filter. just dump the kettle into the bucket and away we go!

Make a pumpkin beer, then you will see what ridiculous amounts of trub looks like :)

I would have to agree, recently made a pumpkin with 4 cans of pumpkin puree, there was an insane amount of trub.

The stank from dumping the trub was evil, but looking forward to opening them up soon..

Relax, it is normal. You will probably end with clearer beer.

Was it AG or Extract? How well, if at all, did you filter? No real concern for that much trub, it happens... :ban:

Extract and I did not filter. Going to start bottling when sun is up. Once that mission is complete,,,I'm going to start brewing some Hefewiezen.
The biggest PITA is dealing with keeping the wort at 68 degrees. I put my carboy in a tub half filled with water, had to add frozen water bottles in the morning and when I got home from work roughly 10 hours later. Then I had to get the carboy about of my closet. Had the tub/carboy on a furniture dolly. Siphoned out most of the water and rolled it into the kitchen. Now it sits on a stool in the garage waiting for me to prime and bottle. I really need to get a wine type cooler for fermentation

Extract and I did not filter. Going to start bottling when sun is up. Once that mission is complete,,,I'm going to start brewing some Hefewiezen.
The biggest PITA is dealing with keeping the wort at 68 degrees. I put my carboy in a tub half filled with water, had to add frozen water bottles in the morning and when I got home from work roughly 10 hours later. Then I had to get the carboy about of my closet. Had the tub/carboy on a furniture dolly. Siphoned out most of the water and rolled it into the kitchen. Now it sits on a stool in the garage waiting for me to prime and bottle. I really need to get a wine type cooler for fermentation

There are a lot of creative fermentation chambers that have been built. Depending on how much room you have available you can build a single carboy model, or go with a dedicated fridge/freezer and temp controller. You will find many options in the "DIY" section.

Back