Look a like craft brands.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm unfamiliar with Calsberg. Are they more akin to the likes of Bud, Coors, etc, over here? Beer that's just successful marketing to the bland pallet of the masses.

I think it's funny how they say "craft inspired". There's a couple brands I see here that are either the soulless creation of some marketing company or a covert project of a big commercial brewer. I don't really know. There's suspiciously little information on who's brewing them. Well, at least one. I've never bothered to read the label on Third Shift.

I'm unfamiliar with Calsberg. Are they more akin to the likes of Bud, Coors, etc, over here? Beer that's just successful marketing to the bland pallet of the masses.

I think it's funny how they say "craft inspired". There's a couple brands I see here that are either the soulless creation of some marketing company or a covert project of a big commercial brewer. I don't really know. There's suspiciously little information on who's brewing them. Well, at least one. I've never bothered to read the label on Third Shift.

Carlsberg is on par with Heineken, Becks, etc. Generic Euro macro lager.

Third Shift is owned by Coors, I believe, but there are lots of others. Blue Moon, Killians, Shock Top...even Sam Adams is creating side brands to sell ciders and shandies under different names.

I've tried all those beers and they are very bland. I prefer Spendrup's pseudo-brand Brutal Brewing. They're not good really, but for the price Flat Tire with Mosaic and Centennial is definitely OK.

I was duped by this once:

Third-Shift-Amber-Lager.jpg

There are also a lot of whiskey companies out there that buy other distilleries stuff and re brand it as their own.

Is there a widely-accepted term for macro beer masquerading as craft beer? Should we coin one?

"Crapt Beer?"

"Fake-ro Beer?"

Eh I'm sure this will start a flame war but I think craft beer is what the end product tastes like. Not who brews it or how much is produced.

Eh I'm sure this will start a flame war but I think craft beer is what the end product tastes like. Not who brews it or how much is produced.

No flaming, but you're conflating "good beer" with "craft beer". They aren't mutually exclusive terms. I love Shiner Bock, and consider it a "good beer". It isn't a craft beer though. On the flip side, Rahr & Sons makes some of the worst "craft beer" I've ever had, plus several really good ones.

No, I agree. When I buy New Belgium or Stone or SN products, I'm not deluding myself that I'm supporting the little guy. They may make a buttload of beer, but they make good beer.

If I ever ran into a Blue Moon beer that I enjoyed more than the craft options, I'd buy that too.

Latest posts

Back