Longterm storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sycotik

Reaction score
I have been overseas for a bit and I am about to go on R&R. II want to clean everything while I am home and keep it clean before I come back. My friend used my equipment to make a batch while I am over here and neglected to clean it. I have 2 better bottles, 3 glass carboys and 3 plastic buckets. I am going to take care of this when I get home in about 3 weeks or so. My question is, how should I clean them and keep them in storage? He will not touch them again until I get back which may be 6-8 months.

Should I clean and sanitize?
Should I "cap" them somehow?
Should I leave a solution in them for that long?

I am going to put them in storage for the duration and I doubt anyone will go in there for the entire time I am gone. Any suggestions on storage of all of this?

Thanks much

Give everything a good cleaning and oxyclean soak before you pack them up. Then I'd just throw lids/caps on everything to keep the dust out. You will still need to sanitize everything when you go back to reuse it again, but you shouldn't have to scrub at all.

Stay safe until you get back

Parker nailed it, clean well and cover. Make sure your carboys are completely dry and wrap the tops with foil or plastic wrap to keep the spiders and dust out. Everything should just need a rinse before using again.

Two more things: don't let your friend use your equipment again since he obviously doesn't treat it properly and have fun on your leave!

Stay safe!

:off:

I live in fairmont too

:mug:

Good deal, I technically live in Afghanistan now since I moved all of my stuff to storage, so I no longer have a house there. I still go there everytime I am in.

On the long term storage thing, I was just reading about Apfelwein, and I guess I could just fill my carboys up with it and hide it in the house somewhere. I could have someone check on it from time to time. From what I read I can keep it in the carboy for 6-8 months no problem right?

EDIT: I re-read the post on Apfelwein and it looks like it should only be in the carboy max 3 months. Oh well, maybe I can have someone bottle it for me.

start a sour beer like a lambic or a flanders brown. it can stay in the fermenter for over a year. enjoy your R&R man, what branch?

Back