Longevity of kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrage

Reaction score
I am new to all this. I did search, came across a few answers but wanted more opinions.

I was wondering how long beer would last once kegged.

I am planning a kegerator. I won't have any other fridge room to store. So how long at room air.
How about kegging half and bottling half? Does that cut down on the time that it can be in a keg-----being that the keg is half full.
I am planning the 2 keg kegerator. If I'm working a lot of overtime, 2 kegs might not be finished off in a month.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
jt

It really depends more on the style. A beer can last in kegs for years, but certain beers only age a couple months before they're past prime. Hefeweizens and certain pale lagers won't stay fresh for more than about 6 months. Stronger beers can easily last years.

Like I said I am new to this. I have quickly read thru many of the kegging tutorials. Probably just overlooked some of this.

If I have a keg in the kegerator, how long will it last with the CO2 being monitored. From what I have read it is only a month or so.

If the keg is 'stored' at room air is it just essential in a 'secondary' fermentation?

The keg is just one big bottle. I have bottles that are from 2005 that are fantastic. I have kegs that have been on tap for months with no problems. What do you mean by ''CO2 being monitored''?

Monitored--just make sure there is no leak and such. I am still reading but off hand is there anything different you would do with a keg that has set at room temp for a month or longer?

I would guess several months for nearly all beers no problem. In fact, I made a brown ale that really wasn't very good until 3 months went by. As long as it has a blanket of CO2 on top, keep it cool as you can and it will be fine.

keg'd beer lasts for months.
you can even pull it out and store at coolish room temperature, and later put it back on tap.

Latest posts

Back