Long way to brew, 2 stairs down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triat00

Reaction score
So, im mooving to a new house. My brewhouse will be at the second floor and my fermentation room will be at the basements.
Every time I brew ill have to go down 2 stairs to cool down my brew and transfer to primary.

Any idea to get that easyer?

Thanks

Define "new house". Will you own it?
Conveying a kettle of hot wort down two stories to cool it down has to be considered a 100% blocker for safety sake alone. Super bad juju right there.
Short of running a sanitary pipe from end to end (which kinda-sorta has been done by an HBT member or two), I would find some way to consolidate in one space...

Cheers! (and good luck)

Yes ill own it.

I agree with you about the safety issue.

Im looking to get an oven in the basements but the only range hood that ill be able to install is a recirculation one (because ill be far away from an outdoor wall) ... hello humidity !

Yes ill own it.

I agree with you about the safety issue.

Im looking to get an oven in the basements but the only range hood that ill be able to install is a recirculation one (because ill be far away from an outdoor wall) ... hello humidity !
There was an article in Brew Your Own magazine last year about building a steam recovery cover for your brew kettle.

Can you cool where you boil? If so only take 2-3 gallons at a time and pour into your fermenter, bonus you'll get exercise going up and down the stairs! That and it'll oxygenate your wort as you pour into your fermenter..

Is there a bathroom on the second floor that you can use the sink to hook up a hose to your chiller and then drain out to a tub/shower? Pretty much what I do. Brew on first floor, chill by running hoses to first floor bathroom. Transfer to carboy and then carry the carboy down to basement where it ferments.

I brew outside and pump finished wort into fermentor in cellar, it is only one story, not two, but if you can find a direct route down, that might work for you. I use 20 ft 1/2in silicon hose and regular wort pump. Gravity and siphon would work too, but I run though plate cooler on the way into the cellar window.

Sanitizing hose and cooler after each use is a must of course, but sanitizing the coil of hose is not really any additional work when sanitizing cooler. Fermentors are on stainless tables with wheels, so I can roll to spot closest to cellar window.

There was a post a couple of years ago about a brewer that broke a carboy going down one set of stairs.
He severed his femoral artery and bled to death!
Don't do it!

I brew on my covered porch in bad weather and outside the bilco doors in good weather then run a hose from the spigot on my biab pot down to the ferm chamber (fridge) in the basement for my 10 gallon batches.
I just walk the 5 gallon batches down the stairs.

then I just run clean water through my deliver hose and blow out dry with the air compressor.
never had an issue.
If you have longer to run I suggest a few RV hoses rated for drinking water connected together into one big hose.
make sure they are clamped down somehow at the bottom and hook it to a spigot on the brew pot.
then hook it to a hose spigot and rinse it all out or your hot water tank since you'll be in the basement.
should be clean after a minute or two.

There was a post a couple of years ago about a brewer that broke a carboy going down one set of stairs.
Don't do it!

i read about that along with other horror stories.
I don't carry the glass carboys full anywhere.
I pick them up to put on a counter to siphon but I have them in plastic milk crates.
I got rid of the metal handle that wrapped around the neck because i've read about the neck snapping off while carrying it.

when younger i just muscled them around and think I was probably lucky.

I like using the glass to age cider instead of taking up a keg.

I brew in the garage and ferment in the basement. Built a straight counter flow chiller out of some old 1/2 copper and use that for the long run from the garage to the basement window. If you set up any hose or pipe though, be careful of the pressure, with two stories above, there will b a lot of pressure head on whatever hose, valve, or fittings you use at the bottom. Not enough to need special fittings probably but enough to get your attention, especially with hot wort. But with care in design it could be a slick system!

Don't do it!
I know some one who cut his wrist and almost bleed out but made it to the hospital. Get your set up all together be safe, Happy Brewing.

Back