Long time no see

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EineProsit

Reaction score
Hi all, After a 2 year sabbatical I’m gearing up to brew again. As was then HBT is my go to for like minded conversation.
So anything I missed?
My first project of course is to get a new wort into the fermenter.......I’m thinking a Two hearted clone.

Cheers

Welcome back. What’s new in brewing, I guess that depends. No chill and no boil brews are kind of new. Then there is the ever growing popularity of Kveik strains of yeast that can ferment quickly at high temps without making fusal alcohol.

Umm, I guess not. What’s LODO?

I believe it is for "Low Dissolved Oxygen". The theory is that any oxygen other that aeration before adding yeast is bad. They take extreme lengths to eliminate all oxygen. They even treat the water to remove oxygen, then closed mash, closed fermenter, and closed transfers from fermenter to keg.

The variety of hops available these days is hard to keep up with. I am not sure I have tried any of the hops from South Africa or New Zealand.

While the yeast side of things has grown fast with growing suppliers of yeast and quality dry yeast options, Kviek has really shaken up everything I thought I knew about yeast. Again, something I have not tried yet.

Overall the science and understanding of brewing (especially hops) had grown considerably in the past few years.

The variety of hops available these days is hard to keep up with. I am not sure I have tried any of the hops from South Africa or New Zealand.

While the yeast side of things has grown fast with growing suppliers of yeast and quality dry yeast options, Kviek has really shaken up everything I thought I knew about yeast. Again, something I have not tried yet.

Overall the science and understanding of brewing (especially hops) had grown considerably in the past few years.

Yes, I see all the new selection and the hobby supply has certainly grown to accommodate every niche. I’m not in for all the hoopla so I’m thinking 3c’s and an IPA recipe......well a Porter and a pale ale and that’s about it for me looking forward. As you might can tell from my profile photo I’m a simple guy with a simple setup.

Yes, I see all the new selection and the hobby supply has certainly grown to accommodate every niche. I’m not in for all the hoopla so I’m thinking 3c’s and an IPA recipe......well a Porter and a pale ale and that’s about it for me looking forward. As you might can tell from my profile photo I’m a simple guy with a simple setup.
I'm also living in the Stone age of brewing with a 3 vessel manual system. All-in-one automatic brew systems are pretty popular now but the old way still makes me good beer.

Welcome back!

I hear ya. The taps around me seem to be dominated by NEIPA, Chili Pepper Lime Gose, Hazy IPA, Boysenberry Vanilla Bourbon Stout, Juicy IPA, etc. It can be hard to find a "standard" beer at times. I brew a mix of stuff, but most if it is pretty "plain" (Pale Ale, Classic IPA, Porter, Stout, Amber/Red, Belgians, etc.). I recently brewed an IPA with Centennial, Columbus, Cascade, and Chinook...and man was it a refreshing change from the Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy hop bombs that dominate tap handles these days.

I believe it is for "Low Dissolved Oxygen". The theory is that any oxygen other that aeration before adding yeast is bad. They take extreme lengths to eliminate all oxygen. They even treat the water to remove oxygen, then closed mash, closed fermenter, and closed transfers from fermenter to keg.

That was well-summarized.

What's new?

Second generation mash pH calculators, and all the, um, "discussion", that goes along therewith.

More spunding than you can shake a pressure relief valve at.
More ending sentences with prepositions and grammar nazis commenting thereon.

The usual tom foolery and shenannigans. You have a lot to catch up on with the random picture thread for one.

Just did a search for a hop chart, holy smokes , so many new hops . Heck even Hallertauer has new family members. I think I saw like 8 different ones now . Just wow

Back