My hiatus is over!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

501irishred

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After almost two years of collecting dust, I’m getting the gear cleaned up and ready to dive back in. Put the old rig through its paces today with water, and baring a few small issues, everything checked out good. Can’t believe how many little things I’ve forgot. I’m glad it was water in those pots, because I flooded the place more than once! I’m sure it will be the same (re)learning curve on brew day, but I’m looking forward to the adventure…..
42C4BDF5-A3BF-4E68-B20E-4ACB765AE467.jpeg

My old fermentation fridge finally said it had enough. We recently bought a new fridge for the house, so took that as my queue to convert the old one. That project was more of a pain than I gave it credit, but turned out good and is holding temps well!

8B76D092-0B7A-4D07-AED8-A3D2B8D97BD3.jpeg

Congrats, and welcome back! :mug:

Having gone through an ~18 month stint on the "Unable To Brew" list due to a spine injury and subsequent fusion surgery I know the feeling of re-starting the whole brewing process. I felt creaky and forgetful and did some "dry fire" brew day simulations just to get the memory refreshed. But I've been brewing up a storm since the re-boot back in February and it's all second-nature again :)

Have fun!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks! Hate that about your back. That sounds like a long recovery (sure it felt even longer than it was), and on top of that I’m sure you had to cut back on drinking beer, as well as brewing it, with all the pills inevitably involved.

fwiw, being the 2020s with all the raging paranoia about prescription drug abuse, I was offered exactly zero narcotics from the moment I woke up from the fusion surgery. They recommended alternating between Tylenol and ibuprofen. That was a jolt, considering my previous spine surgeries were always accompanied by a script for 30-40 hydrocodone or oxycodone...

Cheers!

fwiw, being the 2020s with all the raging paranoia about prescription drug abuse, I was offered exactly zero narcotics from the moment I woke up from the fusion surgery. They recommended alternating between Tylenol and ibuprofen. That was a jolt, considering my previous spine surgeries were always accompanied by a script for 30-40 hydrocodone or oxycodone...

Cheers!
If it gets bad, and if 222's are available without prescription where you are, this combo is the most effective I've found while trying out a variety of meds with my doctor: 200mg Ibuprofen 500mg Methocarbomol 250-500mg Acetaminophen 8-15mg Codeine. Can be done by taking one 222 and a Robax Platinum together.
I'm old and I always hated taking any prescription med, and when this sh*t happened to me, I knew it was long term so I wanted the lowest dose possible only for when the pain became unbearable. I'm old enough to remember the 'common-wisdom' of the 90's saying to never mix Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen, but it turns out to be medically sound and recommended for a number of spinal issues. They tried me on a lot of stuff but they all had bad side-effects. This combo is the only thing that allowed me any relief... mind you, I had to lay down or sit in a reclined and read this site or (ugh!)..binge-watch shows till I could sleep, but it brings the pain back to a bearable level... even just a Robax and Tylenol combo can help when codeine is unavailable or undesirable.

Back