Lomo Embuchado - Spanish cured pork loin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgauthier20420

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first whole muscle cure and decided on a relatively inexpensive cut of meat. Trimmed and rubbed the brine in then covered in plastic wrap and into a zip lock bag for 8 days and then into the curing chamber.

I am sorry. But we really are going to have to request pics for this. Sounds delicious already.

Yeah sorry. I tried doing them on my phone last night, but for some reason the mobile site wasn't letting me. Here are a couple pics of the trimmed and then rubbed and wrapped loin. Nothing too exciting yet, but I'm hopeful.

20140610_182254.jpg

20140610_181842.jpg

Nitrates in brine? Casing / bung?

Yes. 6 grams of Cure #2 are in the brine along with Salt, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Paprika, and white pepper. I made a boo boo and multiplied the ingredients wrong, so I actually used an ingredient brine mixture good enough for double to size of the loin....stupid metric system. Typically I'd leave it for 12-14 days, but I'll be removing from the fridge, washing, and hanging on the 8th day to hopefully avoid over salting the final product.

Edit: I will not be using any casings when hanging the loin.

You're a few steps ahead of me. My salami is coming along nicely and I'm thinking about the next dry cure.

Glad it's looking good. You seem to be getting some very nice even drying times. I hope I can get that this time around. I'm chopping the pork for my next salami this evening and mixing it with the Cure and Salt for 48 hrs and then I'll be stuffing and fermenting.

This thing is a nice hunk of meat, so I'm gonna need to try and find someone that will slice it paper thin for me.

Glad it's looking good. You seem to be getting some very nice even drying times. I hope I can get that this time around. I'm chopping the pork for my next salami this evening and mixing it with the Cure and Salt for 48 hrs and then I'll be stuffing and fermenting.

This thing is a nice hunk of meat, so I'm gonna need to try and find someone that will slice it paper thin for me.

I wonder if a local butcher do that for you. Or if you make really good friends with the person behind the counter at your local deli sandwitch place and let them take enough to make themselves a sammich.

So today I rinsed off the pork loin of the seasonings and padded it dry. It got tied up and hung in the drying chamber. It's now sitting at 55 degrees and a nice 79% RH.

20140617_192514.jpg

20140617_193330.jpg

Why is when I go out of town, something seems to happen in my curing chamber....

Came home from 5 days away from the Lomo to find the hook I'd secured it with cracked and it was sitting on the floor of the chamber. Luckily, prior to use this time, I'd wiped it down with Chlorox wipes and dried it off. I checked for any mold and to my surprise it was still clean. All be it, a little disformed because of how it was sitting, but nothing to be worried about at this point I think.

You should see the bottom of my chamber (freezer). Meat touches that, it's a goner.

I'd imagine your looks worse than since you ferment in it, but your right...had that been the case here, I don't think it would have made it either. I'm gonna weight it tonight since it's been 1 week to see how things are progressing.

Latest posts

Back