Little known facts about beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleybug88

Reaction score
Beer is good. Beer is wonderful.
It's also good for our bones, and other things too.

29-Little-Known-Facts-about-Beer.jpg

Not sure if it's sad or a testament to my thirst (heh) for knowledge, but I learned nothing new. Cool graphic though.

I've seen #8 mentioned before. I wonder how much truth there is to it. Yeast hadn't even been discovered yet, so I'd imagine there was a whole lot more potential for error from infection and wild yeast contamination back then.

Or maybe they just had much lower standards for what constituted good beer.

Some of these are subjective, not facts (Westy 12 being the best). Some are wrong or incomplete (Obama is the first to brew AT THE WHITE HOUSE, not the first to brew), and some are just plain wrong (brown glass doesn't preserve freshness any more than green glass does, it just prevents light damage, and no matter how long a bottle is aged, if there's no sunlight there's no skunking).

Other than that, yeah, I knew pretty much all of this already.

I've seen #8 mentioned before. I wonder how much truth there is to it. Yeast hadn't even been discovered yet, so I'd imagine there was a whole lot more potential for error from infection and wild yeast contamination back then.

The latter. I'm sure "bad beer" meant "vinegar".

"Yeast" hadn't been discovered as an organism, and wouldn't be until the 1800s. But they learned quickly that adding some of that gunk at the bottom of fermented beer to new wort (or whatever they called it at the time) made new beer. They thought it was magic at first. Didn't have to understand the process to perform it.

Also, pretty sure that historically just about all beer was sour beer eventually. Hence the difference between original Mild Ale being simply a modestly hopped young beer that hadn't gong sour yet (as opposed to modern Mild), and Stock Ale that was starting to sour.

I learned that I was not an average American. I guess I already knew that. :eek:

I wish beer improved my vision so I could read the graphics a little easier. :)
Cool info, though I think it is stretching it a bit to call all these "facts". Seems like some of the historical points are more speculation.
Thanks for sharing.

Hey! Did y'all hear? Obama brews! I'm surprised there isn't a thread about that.

I wonder if the beauty of brewsters was determined before or after consumption.

Latest posts

Back