Liquor License for Selling Home Brew Supplies Online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeinATL

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm located in Georgia and am considering selling home brewing supplies online. After researching about 3 hours online, I still haven't found a definitive answer to if one needs to have a liquor license in order to sell brewing supplies online in Georgia. I know I wouldn't be technically selling alcohol, but I could see how you might need one to sell ingredients that are used to make it.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Much appreciated!

Chris in Atlanta
:mug:

I doubt you would need a liquor licence, the same ingredients could be used to make bread. In fact in my state all ingredients are considered food and aren't even taxed.

Bremasterswarehouse, or Winecraft, Brew Depot, ect...one of them around here I am sure would be willing to answer that question.

Besides, I always thought (and i'm NO authority) that it isn't alcohol until you pitch yeast.

I doubt seriously you would need a license...but you are in Georgia;) Do people who sell honey need a special license?..could easily make 13% alcohol mead.

I know I wouldn't be technically selling alcohol, but I could see how you might need one to sell ingredients that are used to make it.

You can make alcohol with sugar and bread yeast, but I'm sure grocery stores don't need a license to sell them.

Don't know all ins and outs, but the place where I buy my home brew gear/kits has a Province of Nova Scotia Liquor License card on the shelves they display their product. Definitely not Georgia, but an indicator that there might be some regulation involved, regardless of "bread ingredients" semantics. No sales tax on ingredients though.

Back