Liquid starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bostpellum

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Very excited to have found this forum. Thanks to anyone in advanced to advise. I am new to pitching a starter for my liquid yeast. These are the steps in my head and I want to make sure I'm getting this right. So, I boil my wart with 1/2 a cup of DME to 2 quarts of water for 15 minutes. After cooling, I pour the whole vile of liquid yeast and the wort and let it ride for 2 days (can I use a plastic container?). Afterwards, I let the wort settle in the fridge for 24 hours and use the cake at the bottom for my beer as the yeast? Am I missing anything? Thanks!

No u pretty much got it during the 2 days make sure u shake it a lot to aerate the wort. Plastic should be fine too.

I would just pitch the whole starter in the container as there is yeast in suspension in the liquid, not just the layer on the bottom. I've used a plastic mason jar so I don't see a problem with it.

It depends on how much of a starter u made if its a big starter dumping the whole thing in could change the taste. I always chill in fridge decant the wort and then dump the yeast into the primary.

Back