Liquid Malt and the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzziePete

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Attempted my first extract/grain brew yesterday but am a little unsure about the addition of liquid extract. Most posts seem to add dry malt at the beginning of the boil, should the same be done if using liquid light malt. Just a little concerned that the wort appears darker than I expected?? Not that that is a bad thing :)

3 gallons of water, steeped 1.1lb Vienna Malt and 15oz Carapils for 45 mins @ 155/160F, sparged, added 2.2lb LLMalt, commenced 60 min boil adding Cascade hops in the usual way. Added another 3.3lb LLMalt just prior to finish and allowed to reach the boil, cooled, pitched US 05. 5.5 gallon wort bubbling frantically

Ok??? Advice??

:mug: Peter

Sounds like you made beer my friend.

The point at which you add the malt extract (liquid or dry) will only change hop utilization. The point at which you add won't play a factor in color...

Honestly, color is the last thing you should worry about with your first brew anyway. Once you get a better idea of what grains at what measurements create what colors, then you can start fussing with your SRMs...

Use lme the same way half at the start and the other half at the end. You won't have to boil it at the end just keep it near 180 for 8 to 10 min. The color will change over the next 2 to 3 weeks so don't worry about that.

I've found that LME darkens in the boil easier than DME. But boiling LME for an hour or more will indeed darken it. So I save the lme for the end,& use half the usual 3lb bag of plain DME in the boil for hop additions. Cleaner flavors,lighter colors ensue. Lighter than it would be otherwise,that is to say.

Back