Lining up pipe fittings/plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbonemth

Reaction score
Might be a common sense thing to some, but I am having a heck of a time getting some fittings (T's and elbows) and valve handles to line up the way I want them to in the plumbing of my brew rig.

I am looking to get things lined up and when tight the fittings are pointing in directions I don't want them to.

Is there something I am missing?

Looking for something like this where everything is lined up nicely.

Brewstand1.jpg

Thanks in advance!

And do a test fit before you put the tape on that way you can count the turns to where you want it. If you pass it and loosen it back you might get leaks. As long as you use enough Teflon tape it doesn't need to be cranked all the way down.

Another trick is to use chalk on your test fit and make a line on both fittings where you want them to line up before you tape and fit permanent.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will add a couple more wraps of tape and see where I get. I had been cranking these things down pretty good. Maybe unnecessarily. I will give it a go.

Having worked on automatic sprinkler systems, which have a similar alignement issue. Start at the end of a straight run and work back. Don't put the wrench on a piece that is screwed into more than one fitting or you'll get various amounts of rotation from each fitting. Almost have to use a vice and ensure that the piece your tightening to is secure. If working backwards isn't an option, use two wrenches and secure the fitting and the piece you are screwing to with wrenches.

Back