Lingering bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
I just brewed a porter 3 weeks ago. I had the first taste last night and it good, but it has a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste. Will the fade in the keg? The recipe is 38 ibu's.

Could also be affected by your water chemistry and grain bill, high amounts of very dark roasted grains can give you a bitter character which I think should age out but if it indeed is affected by water and too much hops then that is not likely to fade
Could also be a culmination of multiple factors

I plugged his hops into one of my typical porter recipes and in those amounts the IBU only comes to around 45 which is not too much for a porter. But Bravo, known for it's bitterness profile, is not a hop I would ever consider using in a porter which shouldn't have a pronounced bitterness. Alexander is right about certain dark roasted grains. I have made porters which at first taste appeared overly bitter but I later determined that it was actually an acrid character that came from too much dark roasted grains.

Recently read an article (Beer Smith) says to consider adding dark roasts late in mash to avoid bitterness, as their sugars are already available due to roasting.

I brewed some sort of Bock yesterday and added some Special B in last 15 min of mash, got the dark color and caramel taste w/o much bitterness.

Back