Limescale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virtus

Reaction score
Hello,

around my brew kettle was brown coating of limescale... Yesterday i brew cream ale and use lactic acid in mash. The problem is that these lactic acid remove all limescale before i start the mash and i didnt noticed. So is it possible to these limescale rised mash ph? i didnt measured. When i brew pale i dont add lactic acid and limescale stays on kettle. Thanks

Unless your limescale was enough to be a measurable amount. I doubt it'd raise your ph enough to worry.

If you had instead scraped it off and put it on a scale would you have had a 1/2 teaspoon worth or about 2 to 3 grams?

I might worry about why yours is brown. :)

Its a thin layer around wall heaters. If i scrap it its like dust... I worry about off flavours and ph. Maybe is a limestone...

You'll know when it's finished and ready to drink. I'm having trouble believing there was enough to change ph significantly.

And even if this was contamination, then you boiled it and killed most anything bad that could have been in it.

And if the resulting beer does have a bad taste, there are a lot of other things elsewhere in your process that I'd have to look at and suspect first. Unless your pots entire surface was once covered with a thick scale, then I can't see the tiny amount I'm imagining to change the taste.

Back