Likely infection, what to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-ross

Reaction score
I'm brewing a rhubarb wheat detail of the recipe are as follows

Roughly 50/50 pilsner/wheat
OG 1.056
Wyeast 3068
2#rhubarb in the secondary

Brewday went well, primary fermentation was normal. After two weeks in the primary I racked to secondary with the rhubarb.

At first I didn't see any activity with the rhubarb, makes sense because it doesn't have much sugar. After a week I am now starting to see what looks like mold. I didn't do anything to sanitize the rhubarb, just washed it.

Question is what to do now......

I can bottle ASAP and drink young to hopefully minimize the effects of the mold/infection. Biggest concern is bottle bombs.

Or, I could wait let it sit for a while and see what happens. I don't really want this to turn into a long sour project and not sure if that would be any good.

IMG_20150719_215600372.jpg

here is a pic

I'm brewing a rhubarb wheat detail of the recipe are as follows

Roughly 50/50 pilsner/wheat
OG 1.056
Wyeast 3068
2#rhubarb in the secondary

Brewday went well, primary fermentation was normal. After two weeks in the primary I racked to secondary with the rhubarb.

At first I didn't see any activity with the rhubarb, makes sense because it doesn't have much sugar. After a week I am now starting to see what looks like mold. I didn't do anything to sanitize the rhubarb, just washed it.

Question is what to do now......

I can bottle ASAP and drink young to hopefully minimize the effects of the mold/infection. Biggest concern is bottle bombs.

Or, I could wait let it sit for a while and see what happens. I don't really want this to turn into a long sour project and not sure if that would be any good.

Hmm.... are you sure it's mold? and not something else? Photos?
If the yeast was still active and alcohol content is high from primary fermentation, I would have thought chances of developing a mold infection that quickly are low. Perhaps rhubarb was moldy to start with, but it's likely that the "mold" you see will eat rhubarb only and not affect the beer, which is mostly fermented anyways.

But I could be wrong. I would let it play out if I were you. Drinking green beer or dealing with bottle bombs is worse. Maybe repitch some yeast if you think there is no fermentation, and/or skim the surface "stuff" / carefully siphon to another carboy.

Have you tasted the beer? Does it taste ok, or is it sour?

I did post a photo, is it coming through OK?

The primary fermentation looked totally normal. It went from 1.055 to about 1.014 over two weeks. That puts it around 5.5%. I'm certain that the source of whatever I am seeing is the rhubarb.

I've done some sours with the wyeast lambic and roeselare blends. This to me looks likes the start of the of a pellicle you see from the bugs. It is white and chalky. The picture might not do it justice.

I did take a sample. It might taste a little tart but really too sour. I expected to get some acid from the rhubarb.

Yeah thats a pelicle. its definitely infected. i would dump it if you dont want to make it a sour project.

Looks like a pellicle forming, not mold. Maybe Lacto? I wouldn't be surprised if that rode in with the rhubarb.

Now that is not a bad thing for a sour wheat. Is the headspace filled with CO2? That would prevent acetic acid from developing.

You can always backsweeten it later, or in the glass. Mixed beer.

It doesn't seem to be generating CO2 (based on airlock activity) so I'm thinking it might be "safe" to bottle.

From what I've read the pathway from sugar to Lactic acid does not produce CO2 so that seems to line up with lacto.

I'll take another taste tonight.

A little lactic sour in this beer would be OK with me. The idea behind the recipe is that it might be a little like a berliner with the tartness coming from the rhubarb.

I've done a few brews where I make a simple lactic thread (1 gal water, 1#DME, handful of grain). The pellicle that forms for these looks similar. Sounding like lacto might be a good fit.

If you taste it and experience hallucinations, it's probably against style guidelines for competition purposes, but might be worth saving anyway.

Back