Light Vs. Dark Munich in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarBrau

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe that is 80% 2 row and 20% munich. Would it be better to use 6L light munich or 10L dark munich? Would there be a very noticeable difference?

Either one will work fine, but for an IPA I advise reducing to less than 10% munich. You want a crisp neutral malt base to let the hops shine. 5-7% is more than enough really.

Go with light Munich. I usually use 10-12% in my IPA's and have used 20% in session IPA's and it has worked very well. I would worry about the dark Munich being too sweet

Also munich differs from malter to malter. Friend made a PA with 90% Weyermann light munich and 10% carapils and it wasn't especially sweet. From what I've heard American Munich malt tends to be quite different.

Light, I have used 10%-15% Weyernan and it was fine. No other speciality malts when using that percentage though

Latest posts

Back