Lid Question for No-Collar Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnHook

Reaction score
I'm about to begin my keezer build (I'll start a separate thread) and I am not going to have a collar. On several threads for no-collar keezers, I've seen the top removed for drilling the holes, mounting the plywood top, and so on.

What is the reason for that? I can't see any problem doing those steps with the lid on the freezer. It doesn't seem that if would be any more difficult. What am I missing?

Freezer is a Frigidaire 8.8 cf model.

Thanks! Looking forward to picking your collective brains as I move forward. The thread will have pics, I promise!

I think people use a plywood top so they aren't ruining the freezer top in case they want to ever turn it back into a freezer again.

I don't think I explained myself well. I am keeping the freezer lid, and mounting a plywood top to the lid. I have seen folks remove the lid, attach the plywood top to the lid, then re-mount the lid. I don't see the need for the extra step. I can mount the plywood top, drill holes, etc., with the lid remaining on the freezer.

I'm wondering if there is a reason to take the lid off to perform those steps, then remounting the lid/plywood when done.

This freezer, once a keezer, will never be a freezer again.

For both of my collar-less keezer builds I removed the lids to do whatever needed doing. Much easier working with the lid across a pair of saw horses, and it only takes a few minutes to remove or re-install the typical chest freezer lid...

Cheers!

And you won't have foam and metal shavings down in the freezer from drilling/cutting through... I like the ease-of-work answer though

I took the lid off completely and built my own.
0by2a5Q.jpg

NSzkXm9.jpg

Beautiful build, mothprodd! What is the lid surfaced with? Looks like a single piece of stone. Heavy much? I like the simplicity.

I'm planning to have a tower, though. My Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft will hold up to 5 kegs on the floor without needing a collar, so I'm just going to use the existing lid with 5/8" plywood top covered with tile.

Beautiful build, mothprodd! What is the lid surfaced with? Looks like a single piece of stone. Heavy much? I like the simplicity.

I'm planning to have a tower, though. My Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft will hold up to 5 kegs on the floor without needing a collar, so I'm just going to use the existing lid with 5/8" plywood top covered with tile.

Thank you. The lid is actually my first attempt at a concrete countertop. I used the countertop mix from my local HD and used charcoal colorant. It cracked a bit on the corner because I mixed it too wet and it warped the form slightly, but overall, I'm pleased. Cheers!

I drilled 2" holes in the top without removing it, just placed rags/dropclothes to catch the shavings. I can then put standard 2" plugs that I got from Lowes in the holes ( they are used for computer desks ) if I ever want to sell the freezer. Mine too is an 8.8 cu ft but it's a Kenmore, probably the same thing.

I didn't take the top off. No problems working with it and a shop-vac made quick work out of cleaning it out afterwards.

keezer01.jpg

Kegerator08.jpg

Back