LHBS grains and generalities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhusker18

Reaction score
I visited two local stores. I won't get into names as these were my first two, ever.

The first one I visited was out of a farm store that I do recall hearing about in the past but it is across town. Nothing special- prices seemed okay but definately not hardcore but they do grind the grain you purchase. The second one is part of a food supply type store downtown and I was most excited about. Again prices were pretty good but found out they don't grind the grain you buy. Is this normal?

Also this same store does have some kits made by local Brewers so I might check those out after more investigation. They also offer every so often some brewing classes for free. It didn't hit me off as totally awesome and I don't think the owners are Brewers nor the employees. Hopefully I can meet some local homebreeers or beginners.

Both places for extract seemed outdated and not the brands found online. So I doubt I purchase there and can tell turn over. Grains, hops, and yeast should be ok.

The only experience I have is with a very good lhbs that all types of brew is all they do and they have a couple grain mills for the customers to grind if they so choose. It is nice that your stores have classes. I kind of wish I had known about things like that when I started. It might have sped things up a bit for me.

Sounds like you have it ok. You might need to get some things online though. I would check and see if there are any brew clubs in the area. Depending on how active they are - might be an amazing source of knowledge / training.

Best of luck

I visited two local stores. I won't get into names as these were my first two, ever.

The first one I visited was out of a farm store that I do recall hearing about in the past but it is across town. Nothing special- prices seemed okay but definately not hardcore but they do grind the grain you purchase. The second one is part of a food supply type store downtown and I was most excited about. Again prices were pretty good but found out they don't grind the grain you buy. Is this normal?

Also this same store does have some kits made by local Brewers so I might check those out after more investigation. They also offer every so often some brewing classes for free. It didn't hit me off as totally awesome and I don't think the owners are Brewers nor the employees. Hopefully I can meet some local homebreeers or beginners.

Both places for extract seemed outdated and not the brands found online. So I doubt I purchase there and can tell turn over. Grains, hops, and yeast should be ok.

There is nothing "normal" about an LHBS. Each one is unique to their situation. What I have locally has little grain on hand and no mill. I've visited ones that have much more selection and a mill to use. I've also visited on with a huge selection, most of which is available it bulk and kits with great turnover so they are all fresh ingredients.

LHBS's are owned by people and some have lots of brewing experience and keep up with the newest techniques and will give great advice while other have little to no experience and their advice is suspect or just plain wrong.

A homebrew club might be a good place to start for advice but even then you need to examine any advice given.

Back