LHBS bad attitude!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I go into my LHBS (Maryland Homebrew) I usually have a recipe I got somewhere like Beersmith or some book I have. Sometimes they won't have the exact ingredients, but the folks who work there will gladly walk around and help show me what the good alternatives would be. Heck, half the time they take the recipe out of my hands and get the stuff together for me!

I need to talk to the owner of my LBHS, hopefully this weekend. I stopped in last week and picked up some grains to brew the next day. I got 4-1 lb bags of Pilsner malt 2-1 lb bags of Munich and 1lb of light crystal. I had thought I had the 10lb#s of Pilsner I needed but only was at 6.5lbs when I started to wiegh it out. I got home I start to add the Pils to the rest on the scale and when I was done I only had 9.25lbs :drunk:.
Now my scale is not the most expensive in the world but it's been pretty acurate as far as I can tell so I took all that off and tossed on one of the bags of Munich that I hadn't opened yet, it came up as 14.3oz or something like that. I did the same with the other two bags and both were light by at least 2 ozs. So thinking thier scale might be off(never had a problem there before) I called them up to tell them what I found. Sw one of the guys that works there(not the owner) who gave me the shpeel about how thier scales are inspected once a year by the
Bureau of Weights and Messures and they were correct, said he test weighed a bag and it came up a pound, yada yada.

So I told him thanks, I'll get something to check my scale with and let them know what I found. So I grabbed a couple of 2oz bags of pellets that I had and weighed them, both came in at 2.1oz w/bags, I took out a 1lb bag of vacuum packed pellets that I had just bought from NB and that weighed in at 1lb 1oz w/bag (also checked it in grams and it was 460gr(454 is approx 1lb) so I don't think my scale is off, at least by enough to account for my discrepency with the grain.

I don't want to give the name of the LHBS since I haven't talked to the owner yet but if I can't get a good response from him it will be the last time I go there.

yesterday I bought the ingredients for Ode to Aurthur stout. This morning punched it all into Beersmith to find out I was a little low on color(needed another 3/4 oz of roasted barley to get to the low end of style) I returned to my LHBS (What Ales You) today planning on buying 1 oz. The whole way there I grumbled about gas and should have checked the recipe before I went yesterday. I got there 15 minutes before opening. he saw me sitting in my car waiting, opened the store and then gave me the 3/4 oz for free! Its not much and I was more than willing to pay but he insisted not to worry about it. Even though it was less than 2 bucks, I drove home whistling and in a great mood. YAY CHUCK!!

The old spring type kitchen scale I had was actually reading light, so I thought the HBS was shorting me as well. I was also putting too much base grain in my recipes for this reason (thought I had awesome efficiency). Anyway I got a pocket jewlers scale, and even though it only goes up to 555 grams I can at least accurately weigh out 1 lb now as I was not able to do before. I plan to get a digital scale that can do up to 25lb or something someday, but for now it works.

My LHBS has two or three locations, and the first time I went I was living elsewhere and went to one of the alternative locations. The guy there was not entirely useful, very dismissive--I asked for advice about achieving certain flavors, both with malts and hops, as I had only brewed from kits prior to that, and his basic answer was, "Everyone is different you cant do it wrong."

Well, that turned me off greatly and I started buying all my ingredients online, which was really more convenient anyway, especially while I was in school. (The closest HBS to my school was 30 minutes away, and the one time I went there while the owner was very nice he kept insisting that no one does AG brewing anymore because it isnt worth the time or effort and he kept trying to sell me this premade wort that all you needed to do was add the yeast to...so, yeah, the Internet).

When I moved I realized that I was literally less than 1/2 mile down the street from another location of that HBS I first went to, and when I went in the very same guy was there, so I was immediately turned off. But I have since been back a number of times, never needing serious help but a few questions, and everyone else that works there is super rad and helpful. And even they roll their eyes at home, on what seems a consistent basis. But he was actually really helpful last time I was there, and I realized that his attitude is a little off-putting but it isnt really to be rude or dismissive, it just seems that way. So I will be going back, and aside from a few specialty things here and there I plan on getting as much of my supplies from there as possible. Its really the other folk who work there, who are just excited to talk with me about beer, that make it worthwhile for me.

I bought my grain and left the store. I won't be going back. Anyone else have similar experiences? I would think they would love to talk beer to a new brewer! I have spent enough money in there too, at least $600 in the last month! Oh well. Guess I will be buying my stuff online now.

I swear for a minute I thought you were describing a transaction from my LHBS!!! Everytime I go in there the shop keeper acts as if customers are a problem. After this weekend I've pretty much written them off. It's not like I could ever bring in a bottle and ask for input. Considering that, they're useless at this point.

At first I inquired about making a starter and he gave me a sheet which I looked over. I asked about how much yeast I would need (from a washed solution) to get a starter going. After a long silence he looks at me like I'm from Mars and says, "I can't answer that question. It totally depends."

After thinking to myself that he's not in the mood for deep brewmaking discussion I went to look for recipies. Of course the recipie I'm looking for isn't out. I ask if there's a reason it's not out and he says, "You see all those little slots up there? Well we have more recipies than slots. You have to ask me to PRINT it if you want it." Once I tell him what I want he admits, "it's not out because this isn't the season for that recipie anyways, that's a winter brew, we don't have everything you need for it." (The later answer would've sufficed.)

I decide it's not worth bothering this guy anymore so I try to find something to do that would not require his help.

As I start prepping my own order I realized both my recipies call for hops and yeast that don't exist in the cooler. Rather than invent some strange concoction I ASK, "What should I sub this with?", to which I'm greeted, "look at the Alpha numbers on the can, that will help you figure it out."

(?)

I got a similar response when I asked questions about different yeast strains too. You know, stupid questions and all, why bother asking when you get this sort of help?

At that point I was ready to drop everything and walk out the door but I already had stuff sitting out.

Anyways, shortly after I gave up on him a few parties walked in the door to inquire about making their own brew. Clearly newbies like me. To my amazement he pretty much told them, "Yeah that was last week, come back next month." Rather than taking 15 fricking minutes out of his lazy ass day and getting these guys sold on a few kits (an _easy_ $200 in income I might add) he just says, "come back next month for the class". It's not like he was overwhelmed with helping me or anything.

I paid and left, with a far more bitter taste in my mouth than any Stone Brew could conjure up.

I'll tell you...with the economy being what it is owners should be bending over backwards to make a buck. Small businesses live and die by their customer service. I imagine I'm not the first one who's dealt with this character either, LA is a BIG town and brewing is a small business here. This guy is unbelieveably unprofessional and gets away with it. Go figure.

Anyways, I just happened on this post while I was getting ready to put out another post asking if any of you have had better luck with some online shops that might make up in customer service what they don't have in savings. I make enough money at my gig to enjoy spending it on a hobby like making beer. I expect to be served with a smile, if not a draft, not insulted.

Any suggestions?

Anyways, I just happened on this post while I was getting ready to put out another post asking if any of you have had better luck with some online shops that might make up in customer service what they don't have in savings. I make enough money at my gig to enjoy spending it on a hobby like making beer. I expect to be served with a smile, if not a draft, not insulted.

Any suggestions?
I don't have suggestions for online stores- if you are in the LA area
Steinfillers in Long Beach is a great shop IMHO (my local). The home beer/wine/cheese making shop In Woodland Hills also was a great resource (I have not been up to that shop in years though).

I don't have a "local" HBS. I have to drive over an hour to get there. I go to Siciliano's Market near Grand Rapids. The people working there are very helpful and their selection is very good.

I've gone in totally unprepared and the guy asked me what I'm wanting to make. I told him a Nut Brown Ale, and so he grabs a piece of paper and hand-writes all of the ingredients and some short instructions on how to do the steeping grains.

Another time I went in doing basically the same thing and this time the lady there pops open her laptop and uses a program like beersmith to calculate this and that. She was great help in locating the stuff for my kegerator and seems to have heard about BierMuncher's Beer Gun too.

They got TONS of beer and wine to purchase too, and cigar stuff, and a pizza place next door that cooks with apple wood in an oven.

If only the beer store about 15 minutes away still carried soem brewing stuff. They got a great selection of beer and wine, but they dropped homebrew stuff years ago. I'm screwed if I need yeast or hops in a hurry!

I would have loved to drop the 4lbs. But brew night is tomorrow. So I am screwed in that aspect.

HEARTSHOMEBREW.COM should be avoided!!

I had no idea their reputation was already so bad.

HA! I've only been on this forum for a little while, but when I saw this thread I immediately asked myself " I wonder if this guy is from Orlando". I had the worst experience with Hearts. And I'm from Tampa. I drove all the way over there so the owner could talk to me like I was an idiot. Granted, I was new to home brewing, but I went there for help and got serious bad attitude. I haven't been back since and don't plan to.

For a little while we had no LHBS in Tampa. But that's changed. If anyone on here is from Central Florida, the drive to Tampa is worth it to see Southern Brewing Supply. Talk to Brian the owner. I've never walked in there without being handed a fresh glass of beer and talking away an hour or two. Last time I was there I called ahead because it was almost closing time, we still hung around talking technique and recipes till 45mins after closing.

It's important to have a place you can ask "stupid" questions at and get respectful answers. A place like that can convince me to spend the extra money there instead of the web.

Edit: I don't work there, by the way.

I just had one of those "It's great to be a homebrewer" moments at one of the LHBS I go to...

I walked in to drop off some contest entries for the upcoming Rennaissance festival competition, and after shooting the breeze with the 3 guys working there, as I was walking out, one of the guys yelled from the back, "Hey down leave, I'm about to crack a few beers open." So next thing I know I'm hanging out in the back sampling a Flander's red, a Brown and an Amber....And an hour went by. :D

My LHBS guy, while having a bit dry sense of humor, is very good. He comes off at first a bit stand-off-ish but once you get to know him he is very helpful and very very easy to work with.

He is also a die-hard republican. a plus in my book:mug:

HA! I've only been on this forum for a little while, but when I saw this thread I immediately asked myself " I wonder if this guy is from Orlando". I had the worst experience with Hearts. And I'm from Tampa. I drove all the way over there so the owner could talk to me like I was an idiot. Granted, I was new to home brewing, but I went there for help and got serious bad attitude. I haven't been back since and don't plan to.

For the first ten years I brewed I bought all my supplies form Hearts. I thought it was a great place. Good selection, open late, lots of imported beer to sample. It I called ahead they would smack a pack of yeast if needed ahead of my pickup. There were about 3 owners. Two were great guys. The third I never bothered with. I would still be buying form them except they are 1000 miles away in a foreign country.

Paul

Props again to my LHBS What Ale's You I had a regulator stem that was leaking and had taken the regulator into a weld supply shop. After the (experienced counter guy) looked at it, he tossed one on the counter and had my tank refilled due to the leak. thought that was nice of him, until they blew the pressure relief out of the tank(people were diving for cover) told me I had to come back they were too busy to fix the tank then. I get back 4 hours later and was told that it wasn't a 4.5 lb tank and they could only get 2.5 lbs in it. Funny I say, you put 5.25 lbs in it the first time, no wonder the relief finally gave. disgusted I leave with the intention of never entering that shop even if I had to wait for What Ales You to open on Tuesday. I had to go back, the asshat sold me a righthand thread stem for the lefthand threaded regulator. Once again I left pissed due to the incompetence on several points of their "experienced techs". the next day I called chuck and asked if he had a left handed stem, He does! I go, pull out my wallet to pay and he says not to worry about it, it had been collecting dust. He is always helpful and I am always grateful. I cant prost his store enough. If he was single I would hook him up with my sister!

I would have asked if he was the owner, if not I would have asked to speak with the owner. If he was I would explain to him that the only reason he is still in business is because walk-in and local stores offer face-to-face customer service, something an online bulk dealer simply cannot. After telling him that I would go online and find it cheaper.

I try as much possible to buy local. Every piece of equipment and ingredient I have purchased has been from my LHBS, at a price sometimes I could get better online. However, their customer service is fantastic, they answer all my questions and are more than willing to spend time with me explaining things. However, if a locally owned company doesn't give me customer service they do not deserve my business or to stay in business.

I think a lot of businesses forget that we can get this stuff (usually cheaper) online. I'm also on some cigar boards and I hear stories like this all the time. Except with cigars, the price difference is usually more drastic. I'll pay $120 for a box at a brick and mortor or I can get online and get the same box of cigars for $70. Customer service is a must. If they don't want to offer that, then let them dig their own grave. First time I went to my B&M we talked cigars for 2 hours. He's an hour drive from my place and I try to make a drive there once a month to hang out and spend money. Plus he just made a man hut behind his house with lots of beer and a nice kegerator.

I live in Orlando and have bought the majority of my equipment at Hearts. As previously stated, I like the location, selection, and price, but I agree the customer service is lacking to say the least. It really is an online retailer, you have to order your stuff online and go pick it up and leave. I have spent over $500 dollars there over 6 months and i still don't think the guy has any desire to conversate with me at all. There is another homebrew store in Sanford, BeeBrewing that I am going to try as well. I'll update with my experience with them. I usually buy all my ingredients from either AHS or MidWest and the equipment from Hearts cause I don't want to incur the shipping costs. Less shipping = more beer.

Knightbrewer

For the first ten years I brewed I bought all my supplies form Hearts. I thought it was a great place. Good selection, open late, lots of imported beer to sample. It I called ahead they would smack a pack of yeast if needed ahead of my pickup. There were about 3 owners. Two were great guys. The third I never bothered with. I would still be buying form them except they are 1000 miles away in a foreign country.

Paul

glad to hear it's not all bad news at Hearts.

I don't have suggestions for online stores- if you are in the LA area
Steinfillers in Long Beach is a great shop IMHO (my local). The home beer/wine/cheese making shop In Woodland Hills also was a great resource (I have not been up to that shop in years though).

I'll try out some of these other stores and see what I can come up with. Long Beach is a drive for me but if I actually get some service it'll pay for itself in the long run.

Browsing the net yesterday I found a few online stores as well that seem to have more "commercial clone" recipies than my LHBS has. I even found one that had a clone of my favorite Stone brew. That alone is worth going out of State.

Thanks again for all the responses.

wow what a tool. he must have been new to it and was just there to ring items through the till. if he knew anything about all grain brewing it wouldn't have killed him to suggest some grains. he doesn't deserve your custom.

The one I go to in Northern VA, when I attend college, is much more polite and made a point of making sure I use their store for my needs.

I'm assuming you're talking about the same LHBS I go to (the only one in NOVA). The owner is helpful, but pretty damned opinionated. If he doesn't like an idea you have, he's pretty honest about it. He also doesn't carry items he personally doesn't use such as ph buffer. He also wouldn't carry rice hulls if so many people didn't ask for them. He thinks they are a waste of time. Kinda weird...oh well.
I just wish he'd get a store bigger than a walk-in closet. When there are as few as 3 people, you have to climb over each other to get stuff.

I just want to say, that I went back into Hearts homerew today, and I had a GREAT time talking to the owner, he was friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to be around.
I told him about the bad rap that they get, and he explained that they concentrate on the internet orders, and if they are behind, trying to get them out the door, that they can be a little short. They run the store as a one man operation, so you can see that if he has internet orders, and a guy walks in, he cant do both at the same time. He also explained that if he talked to someone all the time like he talked to me today, that it would really put them behind. Today being Friday, it wasnt that busy, so, like I said we had a good time talking beer.

I understand more, why Hearts is the way that they are, and although I may not agree with it 100%, I definately have a better understanding about it.

Since I was there I picked up one of his homemade stir plates, and a 2000ml flask, and the book "Designing Great Beers".

Anyways, just thought I would post a "happy" trip, since I was one of the original people that said it was horrible there.

I just want to say, that I went back into Hearts homerew today, and I had a GREAT time talking to the owner, he was friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to be around.
I told him about the bad rap that they get, and he explained that they concentrate on the internet orders, and if they are behind, trying to get them out the door, that they can be a little short. They run the store as a one man operation, so you can see that if he has internet orders, and a guy walks in, he cant do both at the same time. He also explained that if he talked to someone all the time like he talked to me today, that it would really put them behind. Today being Friday, it wasnt that busy, so, like I said we had a good time talking beer.

I understand more, why Hearts is the way that they are, and although I may not agree with it 100%, I definately have a better understanding about it.

Since I was there I picked up one of his homemade stir plates, and a 2000ml flask, and the book "Designing Great Beers".

Anyways, just thought I would post a "happy" trip, since I was one of the original people that said it was horrible there.

Sorry but that is BS. It's called good customer service. They are trying to maximize profit by only employing 1 person. The owner can't play the "I only have 1 employee" because that is his or her fault. If the service is bad, and they wish to run an internet store, why buy from them if you can get it cheaper online?

it's great to hear you got good service while you were in there. I hope they keep it up.

as far his explanation of them being "short" when they're behind... the guy was reading a book when I interrupted him last time:cross:

Back