Let's Talk Saisons, Boys and Girls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
So, has anyone brewed one? I think the style is intriguing, and might just brew one. I've only tried it once, at the National Homebrewers Conference. It was pretty good, but of course I don't know "close to style" it was.

I'm away from my brewing books at the moment so I'm not fresh on all the details of the style, but I do know that saison yeast strains are to be fermented warm, as in 80F+. Anyone know just how warm you can go with one? What kind of fermentation schedule is typical for one? I understand that even at those temps, the yeast works slow.

Also, how low are they supposed to be attenuated? The one I had had a little sweetness to it. Is that typical for the style, or are they supposed to be dry?

Also, some example recipes would be cool, too.

I think my Hennepin is classified as a Saison. I have made a few of these. I ferment them around 75 degrees. Noi problems. Yeast is very active too.

I have one in secondary right now--it is the Saison Dupont clone from clone brews.

Generally, they style is fairly dry--maybe just a touch sweet.

I haven't found this to be a slow fermenter at all. I used Wyeast 1214 with a starter (that strain is known to be an active fermenter) at about 73 degrees. I had bigtime activity after about 12 hours.

I racked after 5 days.

Next time I try this style I may use White Labs 565, which may being out the earthy/peppery flavors a bit more.

I'll post how it turns out: I didn't taste it when I racked. (I was busy brewing another batch at the time.)

cweston said:
I have one in secondary right now--it is the Saison Dupont clone from clone brews.

Generally, they style is fairly dry--maybe just a touch sweet.

I haven't found this to be a slow fermenter at all. I used Wyeast 1214 with a starter (that strain is known to be an active fermenter) at about 73 degrees. I had bigtime activity after about 12 hours.

I racked after 5 days.

Next time I try this style I may use White Labs 565, which may being out the earthy/peppery flavors a bit more.

I'll post how it turns out: I didn't taste it when I racked. (I was busy brewing another batch at the time.)

Hmm....is that they yeast they recommended? I was planning to use WY3724, their "seasonal" saison strain.

Sam75 said:
Hmm....is that they yeast they recommended? I was planning to use WY3724, their "seasonal" saison strain.

Wow: I wasn't familiar with the Wyeast strain. Look at the somewhat odd stats here...now I see where you got some of the info in your initial post in this thread:

Wyeast Labs Belgian Saison Yeast - 3724

Yeast Type Ale
Yeast Form Liquid
Floccuation Low
Attenuation 68%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature 70.0 °F - 85.0 °F
Description Classic farmhouse ale yeast. Spicy and complex aromatics including bubble gum. Very tart and dry on palate with mild fruit. Finishes crisp and mildly acidic. Benefits from elevated fermentation temperatures. Usually slow to attenuate.

I'll probably be tasting my first bottles from this batch in about a month: if it's good, by then it will be warm enough here that I could probably manage that fermentation temp in the kitchen pantry (normal location for winter fermenting at about 68). Maybe I'll try it, 'cause I love the style.

I've never been into Belgian beers much, but I'm planning to investigate them this summer just on account of the higher fermentation temps that the yeasts require. My Mexican wife keeps the house a little warmer than I find comfortable, but it should be perfect for fermenting Belgians.

I'm interested in following the progress.

You should pick up Farmhouse Ales if your really interested in brewing a saison (or Biere de garde). I have not brewed one yet, because I need to get a new kettle and I want to ferment it in the 75F+ range. According to Farmhouse Ales Saison Dupont is fermented at 90F to speed up the fermentation and increase attenuation. If I remember correctlly Dupont is only fermented in the primary for about three weeks, then bottled for conditioning and carbonation. Attenuation in the example cited in FA are 86-96%. As for recipes, Saison Dupont apparently uses 100% Belgian Pilsner malt, Kent and Styrian Goldings, with an IBU of 32. Other examples use munich, malted and unmalted wheat, suger, saaz, hallertau and spices. Gravities in the 1.048-70 range. I plan on doing one this summer like the Dupont I noted above. I'm going to use WLP550, mash in the mid 140s and ferment warm in order to get good attenuation.

Back