Let's talk beer glasses...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drunkensatyr said:
I have GOT to buy some more pint glasses. Down to 3. Between drunk friends dropping them, dishwasher, cat knocking them off counter........ *sigh*

That is the major benefit to Plastic. I honestly don't notice a difference from drinking out of glass or the Target plastic glasses. I have to remember what type of plastic they are...

Just checked with the Bevmo next to me, and no luck. The manager said that he wouldn't have them , if he would have them at all, until June or July. Sorry! But I did get some Rougue Dead Guy Ale!

A word of warning to you guys on the Sam Adams glass, Jim Koch had them especially designed for drinking Sam Adams Boston Lager (there was a whole article on it somewhere). The whole point is that the shape of the glass affects the way the beer tastes. Not that it will make a huge difference, but Jim warns that they are only designed for Sam Adams (what an EAC).

some glasses really do make a difference but, lol, i think a "warning" is a little much.

tulips, chalices, thistles, they'll all give you different taste and some are even necessary considering the head you will get. For instance, pouring a triple into a pint glass could give you nothing but head, unless it's done very slowly and carefully, and even then it's not the ideal glass.

But the sam adams glass will be pleasant to drink any lager, pilsner, kolsch, light ale, etc. it's look is mostly aesthetic. srlsy

TheJadedDog said:
A word of warning to you guys on the Sam Adams glass, Jim Koch had them especially designed for drinking Sam Adams Boston Lager (there was a whole article on it somewhere). The whole point is that the shape of the glass affects the way the beer tastes. Not that it will make a huge difference, but Jim warns that they are only designed for Sam Adams (what an EAC).

How much of that do you think is marketing though?

I do believe some of the points he raises about the glass--the ridged bottom will facilitate release of carbonation, the wide rimm will facilitate the beer to breathe...but I think most of that is phooey.

Jim Koch is a marketing genius, obviously.

Dude said:
I don't think that is it....but not positive.

We are still talking about the new Sam Adams specially designed glass, right? The one pictured earlier in this thread, right?

Correct. I will try to get back there this week and let you guys know...

I recently found cheap nonic pints! They're at a restaurant supply company in Columbus, Ohio named Wasserstraum.
http://www.wasserstrom.com/locator.asp

Go to the link and the third Columbus location on Broad Street is a Wasserstraum's clearance warehouse. This is where I got them. I don't know what their shipping policy is but it never hurts to ask. I got mine for 50 cents a pint. I bought 20 about two weeks ago becuase they were so cheap and they're brand new. The pints are made by Arcoroc out of France. This is stamped on the bottom of the glass.

Hope this helps. Note that the staff there is hit or miss. You may get someone who is really helpful and will try to track down what you're looking for, and you may get Mr. PITA. Depends on the day. If you get Mr PITA, maybe call back the next day when he's not working. Cheers.

Check out what I picked up today...the last 2 mind you!

636-chalkboardglasses.jpg

Thought they were pretty cool!

I get alomst every free beer galss they give away at my liquor store. I get pilsner glasses comma "pint" glasses comma wheat beer glasses and those 1L dimpled mugs. I'm having trouble finding places to store them.

sause said:
I get alomst every free beer galss they give away at my liquor store. I get pilsner glasses comma "pint" glasses comma wheat beer glasses and those 1L dimpled mugs. I'm having trouble finding places to store them.
+

:off:

Can someone tell me why "comma" is spelled out on a bunch of posts lately? Is that on purpose? Is it like saying fo' shizzle my nizze"?

I am thirty. And I'm feeling old...........

lol, fo shiggity. oh, and the 1L dimpled mugs...you mean the glass steins. those things are awesome. i have a spaten one. suppose to get a metalocalypse one, too, if that chick every calls me back...

I have a dozen Ravenhead "nonic" style pint glasses that SWMBO gave me for my birthday several years ago. They make me very happy.

Also, I'm a Raven's fan, so that works for me too.

I've always used goblet-style glasses myself. Global Beer has an awesome club-footed one with the Lucifer logo on it. It's my glass of choice. I've got 3 of them (wifey got them for me for xmas), and am trying my best not to break these like I broke the other 2 I had.

I just find that with pint glasses, it's really difficult to get a good aroma from the beer. It's like drinking wine out of a solo cup. Not gonna work for me.

Back