Lesser of two evil ferm temps for using wlp002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Pitching a huge 5L starter into my ris Tomm. However I usually ferment in my basement where temps are 61-64 deg except that now with the weather being what it is our heat doesn't run much during the day so ambient temps are now around 58-59deg so that's option one which may b to cool. Option 2 is in an upstairs closet where temps are 68-70 deg which is prob on the higher end. So one thing I def don't want is this fermentation to stall out so I'm mashing this beer low 149-150 in hopes to put out a more fermentable wort. So which choice would b better even though neither are ideal. I could also pitch the yeast say around 64-66 let it start working, move it to the basement until primary ferm is over then bring it upstairs for a couple weeks to finish out. Trying to get a fg of 1.026-1.028. Thanks for any thoughts.

I use this strain in all my beers. Pitch that sucker low - it'll be super estery with a big beer no matter what. I recommend chilling to about 62, pitching, and putting in that cold basement. I betcha fermentation will get going and you probably won't dip too low. I've had controller problems and brought a beer down to about 58 with that yeast and it still kept fermenting. But cold is MUCH better than warm with a flavorful English yeast.

Try not to let it exceed maybe 65 for the bulk of fermentation, but then kick up to 70-72 to finish strong. And be prepared for a mega blowoff!

Also, depending on OG and grain bill and such, you may even want to do a step mash for more attenuation. 145 for 20 min and then 153ish for a little longer. This yeast needs help to attenuate. Replacing some malt with sugar isn't a bad idea. Consider adding the sugar midway through fermentation.

Also, depending on OG and grain bill and such, you may even want to do a step mash for more attenuation. 145 for 20 min and then 153ish for a little longer. This yeast needs help to attenuate. Replacing some malt with sugar isn't a bad idea. Consider adding the sugar midway through fermentation.

Thanks for the thoughts. My OG is 1.100 mashed in at 149 for 90 minutes. I'm adding 2lbs dme at 15min to boost my OG since my 10 gal cooler can't hold all the grain to get me to that point. I used this yeast last time I made a ris but pitched it higher 68deg and it blew off like crazy I lost 1/2 gal to blowoff hopefully I won't lose that much this time if I ferment it a little cooler.

You'll still have blowoff at a lower temp but definitely less. Still, I'd be prepared to lose some.

One thing I'll do with big beers that have a sugar addition is save a quart of wort after chilling and freeze it. Then, when it's time to add the sugar addition to during fermentation I'll boil it in the extra wort. This way I can replace some of the lost volume.

Here's a pic of my starter. I think that's a lot of wlp002. I'm going to decant most of the liquid before pitching. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429111652.750801.jpg

Latest posts

Back