Length of Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuff0120

Reaction score
Hello all,

My third batch is currently in the Primary fermenting away. I had to switch the airlock out to a blow off tube as the fermentation was getting into the airlock. My questions is will the krausen that is currently on top of the beer and up to the airlock subside and fall (as with my other two batches)? I used dried yeast the last two times and this is my first try with Wyeast. I am still getting bubbles in the blowoff tube bucket full of star san (although slower then before). The temp is 64 degrees. Here is the recipe I tried:

Type: Extract - Speciality Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 - ALE
Yeast Starter: none
Boil Size: 6 gal
Batch Size: 5 gal
Boiling Time (60): 60

Calculation (TastyBrew.com)
Original Gravity: 1.055 Measured: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV: 5.30%

Speciality Grain: 0.2 lb Crystal 80L

Fermentables: 6 lb Light LME
2 lb Light DME

Hops: 1 oz Hallertau (60 min)
1 oz Tettnanger (30 min)
1 oz Saaz (5 min)
IBU: 26

Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

It will be ready when it's ready, and not a minute before. One thing about yeast, they can't read recipes, or calendars or clocks, their timeframe is their own....not ours. We have to realize that we're not in charge of this process, they are, and they've been doing it far longer than we've been alive, pretty successfully. We just need to step back, have some patience, and let them do what they do best, eat sugar, pee alcohol and fart co2....on their timeframe.

Back