Lemon wedges in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V1nny

Reaction score
Ok so as a n00b with a Mr Beer kit I was on my third batch and I didn't want to just brew the HME kit. It was a pale ale kit and I decided to do some experimentation and throw some oats, brown sugar, and lemon in the boil. The lemons i quartered and and tossed in at flame out as I've read in some other post about adding fruit.

I washed the lemons, not sanitize or soak in alcohol. I figured the high temps of the wort would kill anything. The beer (now 5weeks later and bottle conditioned) has a very strong lemon/pinesol smell to it. Very sweet and also sour. Almost overpowering. I plan to let it sit for a few more weeks before trying another.

Now here is the strange part. I cleaned the fermentor well and then did a good sanitization after this experiment to get ready to do a porter. There was no left over smell in it or anything before starting the next brew. Now 7 days into primary fermentation the porter, started off with a nice scent, is giving off a lemony sour smell?? Does fruit bacteria carry the same smell/flavor essence from which it comes from?

I'm disappointed and excited. I could do strange lemon sour experiments but also have to get new gear. Any insight into this?

Thanks

Back