LEM 1hp vs .75hb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian77095

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the 1hp or .75 grinders. Wanted to know if any of you felt you got the .75 and should have gotten the 1hp or got the 1hp and felt it was over kill?

I am looking to grind mabe 200 lb of meat at a time maybe twice a year. Then maybe 5-10 lbs of meat to make specialty sausages...

Let me know what you think!
Thanks!

I have a #12 .75hp Gander Mountain grinder to make cat food. It has no problem going through 20 pounds of bone in chicken leg quarters. The problem I run into is in the size diameter of the feed tube and getting the whole quarter in it. I've gotten good at snapping the leg bone at the joint to feed the whole quarter down, but I wish I'd gotten a #22. I will probably upgrade when I can and it will be a #22 LEM.
It's kinda like brewing. Buy once and buy bigger than you think you need.

I use a grinder that's a #12 throat and is rated at 3/4 hp. I grind 50 lbs at a time twice a year and it grinds them faster than I can cut and push them. Not saying to stay away from a 1 hp, but I wouldn't be afraid of a good deal on a 3/4 hp.

I've got a #8 big bite lem, not to impressed. The old Hobarts do a way better job, both motor and throat design. But, for a new machine I don't know who would be better in that price range???

I have a #12 .75hp Gander Mountain grinder to make cat food. It has no problem going through 20 pounds of bone in chicken leg quarters. The problem I run into is in the size diameter of the feed tube and getting the whole quarter in it. I've gotten good at snapping the leg bone at the joint to feed the whole quarter down, but I wish I'd gotten a #22. I will probably upgrade when I can and it will be a #22 LEM.
It's kinda like brewing. Buy once and buy bigger than you think you need.

Are you grinding cooked or raw chicken? This is great info as I make my dogs food and have been cooking chicken and removing the meat from the bone. This would be a time saver plus I would like to include the bones in the food.

Are you grinding cooked or raw chicken? This is great info as I make my dogs food and have been cooking chicken and removing the meat from the bone. This would be a time saver plus I would like to include the bones in the food.
Raw chicken bone and all. We also add beef heart, chicken livers and Blue Ridge Beef kitten mix all raw one pass through the 4.5mm plate. We mix to combine and put it in 1/2 gallon freezer safe tubs and pull it out as needed.

Update to this. I upgraded to a Cabela’s 1hp #22 Carnivor grinder. Wow, what a difference! It now takes longer to set up and clean up than grind 70 pounds of cat food. I no longer have to manipulate the leg quarters. They just drop in the chute.

205699C1-4B2D-45C1-A0E6-54E7C29F3C15.jpeg
D088185D-F924-4D42-A8AE-7906FCEE9B3F.jpeg

Back