Left in Fermenting Bucket with Russet Apples too long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Owl

Reaction score
Hi, I had a bucket of russet apples in a fermenting bucket for almost 3 months. For various reasons, I was unable to remove it on time to the secondary ferment. I removed it two days ago. It was really hazy when transferring it, but otherwise is looking and smelling ok. In the demijohn , it is starting to settle and is clearing well. I have done wines from picked fruit over only 3 years and this is the first time I messed up on the timing. My question is should I be worried? Can I use it? It smells and tastes fine like a young wine. But one thing of note is that the airlock is equal and it is no longer fermenting. In all my other wines in demi johns, the airlock is high on one side and very low on the other and an occasional bubble comes a couple times a day or more. Any advice or information would be great. The wine has a lovely russet colour. I had picked the apples from a neighbours tree and the apples were gorgeous. I am so sad I didn't move to the demi john on time! Can I save this wine?

Last edited:
The sure way to know that a fermentation is finished is to take gravity readings. Changes in temp and atmospheric pressure could change the water levels in the double bubble airlock, and gas release could be CO2 coming out of solution and not necessarily from yeast activity.

The sure way to know that a fermentation is finished is to take gravity readings. Changes in temp and atmospheric pressure could change the water levels in the double bubble airlock, and gas release could be CO2 coming out of solution and not necessarily from yeast activity.
Thank you very much for this information.

Back